Mechanical Engineering/Spring Energy

I have been trying to answer the following questions on my own but get completely confused by all the formulas and conversions, etc.

I was hoping you could help.

I'm guessing my question might make the most sense if I ask it in two parts.

First, how much energy (in the most basic sense) does a car expend driving at a moderate speed for one mile.  Next, how big would a spring have to be (roughly) to store the energy equivalent of what that car expended during that mile.

Thank You!

Hi Bryan

The amount of energy you have in mind to use to move a car by compressing a spring "regardless of its size, shape and strength" requires same amount of energy to get compressed, so the concept of using a loaded spring to provide enough "and easy to find" energy for moving a car "in my opinion" is not going to be efficient.

good luck

Mechanical Engineering

Aroosh Shahbazian

I`m able to answer to questions regarding CATIA designing software, (detail parts and assemblies), designing tips and methods, able to solve manufacturing problems, creating a long term plan to make any working operation more efficient than it is, cosmos FEA.

I have programmed and have designed auto and aircraft parts for various companies (inside and outside of the United States) since 1990, been working in aerospace industry since 1997 as mechanical engineer and ENG. MGR.

Masters in Mechanical Eng. (solid designing)