Mechanical Engineering/Spring Energy

Question
Hello,

I have been trying to answer the following questions on my own but get completely confused by all the formulas and conversions, etc.

I was hoping you could help.

I'm guessing my question might make the most sense if I ask it in two parts.

First, how much energy (in the most basic sense) does a car expend driving at a moderate speed for one mile.  Next, how big would a spring have to be (roughly) to store the energy equivalent of what that car expended during that mile.

Thank You!
Bryan

Answer
Hi Bryan

The amount of energy you have in mind to use to move a car by compressing a spring "regardless of its size, shape and strength" requires same amount of energy to get compressed, so the concept of using a loaded spring to provide enough "and easy to find" energy for moving a car "in my opinion" is not going to be efficient.

good luck
Aroosh

Mechanical Engineering

Aroosh Shahbazian