Mechanical Engineering/Modeling a Single Train running on three rails.

Train running on two rails
Train running on two r  
Dear Aroosh

Will there be advantages in modeling a train running on three rails instead of two rails ?.

I Feel the advantage would be carrying more people capacity for a compromise of Train manufacturing cost incurred.

All Trains run on two rails. Now the same train will be running on three rails.

Merits : Length and Height of the train remains the same, adding a new rail 3 for the single train will result in increase of train width. Now the Load (People, Luggage) carrying capacity will increase. i.e. More People can commute / travel in the train.

Demerits : Manufacturing cost = Raw Materials cost + Labour cost. Manufacturing cost for the New Train construction to run on three rails will increase.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hi Prashant

I have to disagree, more capacity will slow things down, it is better to be faster for smaller group of people rather than slower for larger group.
from other hand I donít know how you can distribute the weight on 3 legs "in a row" equally, you wonít be able to make a precision rail road system, for this reason to me two rail is still ideal.

Question everything
Good Luck

Mechanical Engineering

Aroosh Shahbazian

I`m able to answer to questions regarding CATIA designing software, (detail parts and assemblies), designing tips and methods, able to solve manufacturing problems, creating a long term plan to make any working operation more efficient than it is, cosmos FEA.

I have programmed and have designed auto and aircraft parts for various companies (inside and outside of the United States) since 1990, been working in aerospace industry since 1997 as mechanical engineer and ENG. MGR.

Masters in Mechanical Eng. (solid designing)