Medical Ethics/Right to keep information out of the record

Dr. Friedman,
Insurance companies penalized or even might deny coverage based on people records. Example of that is if you want to buy or renew a Life insurance policy, they check your medical records to establish eligibility and cost of the policy. This make people to refrain from volunteering information that may come back to hunt them down. In order to avoid that can one ask their Doctor not to write down certain information on the records that could be important for the treatment but could be use against you when renewing or buying a new life insurance policy?

This is a very good question.  It is unethical for a physician to fail to put in material information for continuity of care or to misdiagnose to allow for insurance coverage.  The physician or subsequent provider needs accurate information to allow the patient to receive proper medical care in the future.  

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Medical Ethics

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

In addition to my law degree, I have a master's degree in bioethics and a doctorate of philosophy involving comparative medical, legal and business ethics. I am an adjunct professor at a medical school teaching ethics to healthcare professionals and graduate students.

I can answer questions dealing with general ethics principles, including medical ethics, research ethics and bioethics. I am not a moralist and do not interject subjective values such as what is morally right and wrong. Also, I do not give legal advice over the internet.

For more information, you can view my webiste at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM

I have been a civil trial attorney since 1989 with a masters degree in bioethics and a doctorate of philosophy involving comparative ethics.

State Bar of Arizona
State Bar of Colorado (inactive)
District of Columbia Bar (inactive)
Federal Bar
Licensed in the Arizona District Court
Licensed in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
licensed in the United States Supreme Court
American Bar Association
American Association for Justice
Arizona Trial Lawyers Association
American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
Kennedy Institute of Ethics

A list of my copyrighted publications and presentations is contained at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM

Bachelor of Arts 1985
Juris Doctorate 1989
Master of Arts in Bioethics 2004
Doctorate in Philosophy 2006

Phi Beta Kappa
Multiple Who's Who
Outstanding Achievement Award in Bioethics from Midwestern University