Medical Ethics/Unneccessary lymph node removal

Question
Hello, could you please tell me if it is ethical for a surgeon to remove 13 lymph nodes for a breast cancer which was invasive by 1mm?

This happened five years ago, I now have grade 2 secondary arm lymphadema.

Thank you.

Answer
Hazel,

The question is not whether it was ethical but did it comply with the standard of care.  I am not an oncologist or surgeon, however, it is completely ethical and within the standard of care to remove nodes if there is a possibility of cancer.  Your breast cancer was beyond the margin and it is common to remove the lymph nodes in that situation.  Unfortunately, Lymphedema is a known risk but it is better than dying from the cancer.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Medical Ethics

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.