Medical Ethics/My doctor is moving

Question
Dear Dr Friedman,

I have been diagnosed with severe depression for many years. In all those years the only doctor that has been able to control my depression is moving out of a physicians group. I do not know if by contract the group or even the doctor can tell me where he is moving to or if he is opening his own practice. My question is do I have the right to be informed about this since I want to follow him to take care of my illness? Thank you so much.

Alfonso

Answer
Alfonso,

You have an absolute right to know where your doctor is going.  If the office refuses to tell you, check with the board of medical examiners or ask your doctor to provide you with this information.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Medical Ethics

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.