Medical Malpractice/Ectopic Pregnancy after removal of Mirena IUD

Jennifer wrote at 2010-10-24 06:03:57

In searching for my own answers to the Mirena IUD, I came across your post.  What I have found is that most information on the net about Mirena is either from the makers of the product or someone who is promoting the product. Of course, they want to make it sound better than it is. I am more interested in what the consumers report about the product. What I've found is that women are not as satisfied with the Mirena as the company would have you believe. Lots of woman had to have the Mirena removed less than 6 months after having it put in, usually for medical reasons. In fact, insurance companies have in many cases declined this particular form of birth control mainly because they were paying more than $500.00 for something that was having to be removed shortly after. I've heard about many women gaining more than 25 lbs and not being able to get the weight off no matter what they did. One woman was even training for a marathon and in 6 months only lost 1 pound.  Another frequent complaint is bleeding. This was my personal reason for having the Mirena taken out. After 6 months of continuous spotting or bleeding, I decided it wasn't worth it. The next complaint, again a personal one, is either miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy after having the Mirena taken out. What I've found is that despite what the makers of Mirena want you to believe, it happens more than what you think. I believe, the rate of ectopic pregnancy is much higher than their study shows. I've seen a few of those studies and one even reports that there were NO ectopic pregnancies. In another one, they said the amount of ectopic pregnancies was in the "normal" range for the number of women participating in the study, which was less than 180 people per 12,000. When I had my first ectopic pregnancy, they said it was just a fluke. A year and a half later I became pregnant, again. When I began to have some spotting, just like the first time, the assured me that even though I had an increased rate for another ectopic pregnancy, it would be highly unlikely to have another, back to back. They were wrong. Having racked my brain about what was different about these two pregnancies than my first three. I had three healthy children. Why, all of a sudden, would I have two ectopic pregnancies in a row?  The difference was that after my third child was born, we chose the Mirena instead of a permanent solution, just in case we changed our mind. We did, but it didn't matter. Despite what the makers of Mirena would have you believe, I know that's why we are not able to have any more children.  Let me clarify, we cannot have more children without a $10,000.00 procedure...which means, we are not able to have any more children.  The sad thing is, up until I started researching the Mirena in detail, I was told the side effects weren't any different than regular birth control pills. I was also encouraged to have the Mirena put in while breast feeding, which now is not recommended. So, I guess I should be lucky that in conjunction with the loss of my two precious babies that my child I was breastfeeding wasn't caused serious medical problems.  I am seriously angry that they told me this was as safe as birth control. Even the paper from the company did not mention that their product could likely damage my tubes causing an increase chance of ectopic pregnancy. I sincerely hope it was worth the $500.00 they got from my insurance company because at the very least, I think they should have to pay for the conception of another baby for us. They just did not stress the risk. They're selling this IUD as the best thing in birth control. It's comes with very dangerous consequences for anyone who would like to have another baby in the future. Mirena...a conveniently permanent solution to birth control-cheaper than having your tubes tied and more expensive to conceive! All I wanted a was another baby, but got to hire an attorney instead...please, don't consider the Mirena if you think a child might be in your future.  Infertility is the it worth it?

Erica wrote at 2012-10-25 20:40:21
I wish I had researched a little further into mirena before my Doctor recommended it and I listened after all why shouldn't I trust my Doctor.  I had it removed in December 2011 and my husband and I were going to try for a baby we already have 2 very healthy ones.  I didn't get pregnant until June 2012.  We were so happy and 3 weeks later I went to the E.R. in the middle of the night the pain was so bad I felt like I was in labor.  It turns out my pregnancy was ectopic.  We aborted the pregnancy.  It is now October and still not pregnant.  I don't know if I'll ever be able to have a normal pregnancy again but I know in my gut that Mirena is the reason this is happening.  But they make it sound so safe and easy like you'll get pregnant immediately.  I have seen many reports on the internet from women now having the same issue.  It's very heart breaking.

Jess4900 wrote at 2012-11-16 03:23:34
I got the mirena iud because my doctor highly recommended it. I had it removed after a 1 yr because we wanted to have another baby. I got pregnant 2 weeks after it was removed. I went in for an ultrasound to see how far along I was. Turns out I was 6 weeks along in my left tube. I had to go into surgery that day. I had to have my left tube removed. My doctor never said anything about an ectopic pregnancy or waiting to try. I feel as mirena was the cause. I would not recommend mirena to anybody! Good luck to everyone!!

yvettebnvds wrote at 2012-11-20 21:42:51
I got the Mirena in 2008 after my first child was born. In 2010 we were ready for another baby so I had it removed and the doctor told me I could start trying right away. I also had 2 ectopic pregnancies in less than one year, only thing is after my second pregnancy I had to have one of my tubes removed. Wish I would have done more research on this before =(

Doree A. Williams wrote at 2013-02-03 05:00:00
I have also lost 3 pregnancies and 2 fallopian tubes. Got the Mirena 3 months after my 2nd son was born got the Iud out 3 years later. I GOT Pregnant 4 months after removal and 2 months later had a ruptured ectopic. SECOND Jan 07 methotrexate  and 3rd April 29th with the second fallopian tube removal. I Wish I knew the risks........ I still suffer with these permanent losses every year.

Andrea wrote at 2016-05-03 02:34:32
I am a 33 year old healthy woman with two children, ages 8 and 11. About 2 years ago my doctor recommended that I get the Mirena IUD year old healthy woman with two children, ages 8 and 11. About 2 years ago my doctor recommended that I get the Mirena IUD. I wasn't sure if I wanted to have more children in the future, so I wanted a temporary with control. In early February of 2016, my husband and I decided to have more children and I went to my doctor to have the Mirena removed. Just 6 months prior to this I had a healthy gynecological check-up and pap smear.

About two months after having the Mirena removed, we were excited to find out that I was pregnant. However, a little worried from the beginning because I had spotting starting the day I had a positive pregnancy test. I also had minor cramping from the beginning. I called my doctor's office on several occasions to express my concerns that something wasn't right. Unfortunately, my doctor never examined me and brushed me off, thinking that everything was fine.

Starting the night of April 28th, my pain started to increase and continued to get worse over the next couple of days. Finally, on Sunday, May 1st, I went to the emergency room where I later found out that I had an ectopic pregnancy that had ruptured my left fallopian tube. I had emergency surgery last night to remove the pregnancy and my fallopian tube. I was discharged from the hospital the next day, and I am now at home recovering from surgery.

I am going back and forth between sadness, disappointment and anger. I don't understand why I had an ectopic pregnancy. I have no risk factors for this type of pregnancy. I am a non-smoker with no STDs. I have been in a minogomous relationship with my husband since the age of 20, which was over 13 years ago. I have not yet been given a reason from the doctor for this ectopic pregnancy. However, I have done research on PID and it sounds exactly like what I have been suffering with since the day I got the Mirena removed, on February 5th.

My doctor recommended the Mirena to me a couple of years ago when I was in for my annual appointment. I was perfectly happy using condoms, but she insisted that the Mirena was a great short-term birth control, and assured that my fertility would go right back to normal after having the Mirena removed.

I am now devastated by the outcome and the loss of half of my ability to conceive a child. My husband and I were excited to add two more children to our family. Now I don't even know if that is possible and to be honest, I am scared to death to try. I can't stand the thought of loosing my other fallopian tube.  

Medical Malpractice

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

I have been a practicing civil trial attorney since 1989 dealing primarily with malpractice issues. I litigate very select medical malpractice cases on behalf of patients or their families. I am a Certified Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. I am also Certified in Injury and Wrongful Death by the Arizona State Bar Board of Legal Specialization.

In addition to my law degree, I received a Master of Arts in Bioethics and a Doctorate of Philosophy involving Medical Ethics. Because I am also an Adjunct Professor in Research and Medical Ethics at a medical school, I routinely consult with physicians and hospitals regarding medical ethics issues in an effort to improve patient care.

I can answer questions dealing with medical ethics principles. I can also respond to questions regarding potential malpractice issues.

For more information, you can view my website at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM

I have been a practicing trial attorney since 1989 and I have a masters degree in bioethics and a doctorate of philosophy regarding comparative ethics.

State Bar of Arizona
State Bar of Colorado (inactive)
District of Columbia Bar (inactive)
Federal Bar
Licensed in Arizona District Court
Licensed in Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
licensed in the United States Supreme Court
American Bar Association
National Board of Trial Advocacy
American Association for Justice
Arizona Trial Lawyers Association
American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
Kennedy Institute of Ethics
National Association of Realtors

A list of my copyrighted publications and presentations is contained at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM

Bachelor of Arts 1985
Juris Doctorate 1989
Master of Arts in Bioethics 2004
Doctorate of Philosophy 2006

Phi Beta Kappa
Multiple Who's Who
Southwest Superlawyers
Top 100 Trial Lawyers
AZ Magazine Top Lawyers