Medical Malpractice/Methotrexate related lawsuits

Buffy wrote at 2010-06-11 15:50:31
I was hospitalized from March 3-10, 2010 and recently found out that the Methotrexate I took (96 pills over a 4 month period of time) has caused my fatal diagnosis of Restrictive Lung Disease (I'm working with 50% lung capacity) and Pulonary Fibrosis.  I'm trying to find an attorney who will take this malpractice case because my son, an RN, found 59 pages of information on Methotrexate that states my RA Doc should NOT have given it to me.  I use to be a robust, agile, 60 year old...now my life is very limited and my new mantra is BREATHE!

Buffy Sproul-Ehrlich

Christine wrote at 2011-05-31 16:13:40
My mother suffered the same side effects from Methotrexate as your husband.  She passed away as a direct result of the side effects.  We were told, prior to her death, by many of the physicians treating her as well as the pharmacist, that her prescribing physician did not do the proper base line tests prior to him prescribing it and then incorrectly told her the lung side effects were not a result of taking the drug.  We were also informed they would testify on our behalf.  After my mother passed, there was radio silence from the medical community that previously indicated they would support our claim.  If there is not a class action lawsuit against this drug, there should be.  I am working to see who else has suffered in this way.  

To your point, no one individual in the medical field indicated lung damage, resulting in death, was a possibility.

I do hope your husband has recovered.  It is frightening, as this drug is definitely picking up popularity as a treatment for rheumatoid arthritis.

Jack wrote at 2011-06-12 16:48:18
My Mother is experiencing very similar affects from this drug.  Any updates?

Cathy wrote at 2011-09-12 16:25:47
My father age 73 passed away last week as a direct result of methotrexate.  It was prescribed to him for psoriasis.  He took 14 pills over 4 weeks and went from a vibrant, energetic man to being on a ventilator in a matter of 2 months.  I would be interested in participating in a class action suit also.

Paula Schlumbrecht wrote at 2011-12-28 00:52:05
I experienced the same and was hospitalized for 11 days ( 6 in icu) in Sept 2010 and have permanent lung damage as a result.  I have never sued anyone before, but the near death experience and long term effects need to be addressed so others do not suffer as I have.

Maureen wrote at 2011-12-31 05:22:08
i used methotrexate on 3 occasions because my doctor told me there was no way my infections (ears lungs, eye and skin.)  were related to methotrexate he said they were rare.  so he put me back on it 3x. i found another doctor.  i have scar tissue in my left eye due to several ulcers in my eye.  i still get short of breath and havent been able to go without them since.  

Maureen

mike wrote at 2012-01-11 14:08:01
I was on methotrexate for several years. I developed a cough and asked my doctor if the metho could be a cause? He said no, that I would have had the problem when I first started taking it. He never tested to see if it was a problem. My breathing /cough got worse so I went to a lung specialist and was treated for a cold with prednisone and antibiotics, it continued to get worse. I struggled to breath, went back to lung specialist was prescribed more prednisone/antibiotics and continued to get worse. Sent for CT scan, called to get results was told the doctor would go over it at my next appt in three weeks. Began wheezing and rattling went to family doctor suggested I have another scan. This time I got a copy of both scans. The first scan showed a spot in my lung the size of a quarter the second scan showed a spot the size of my hand. Kept my appt with lung specialist and he had never looked at my first scan, when I showed him the second scan he scheduled a go thru the nose biopsy, every came negative so they decided they needed to go thru my ribs to get a piece of upper and lower lobe for testing. The diagnosis Methotrexate toxcitity. My insurance expired in July when this problem began and my new insurance says pre-existing and won't pay any of the $50,000 bill. I am off methotrexate and taking 40m of daily prednisone. This drug makes me very nervous and I sleep about 2 hours at a time, seems like I can't get enough to eat. I'm 62 years old was in great health now I struggle to breath and get thu the day. Still wheezing/coughing.

y  

keiffer. wrote at 2012-02-01 04:31:11
it has killed my liver.. i have most of all your symptoms...

Beverly B. wrote at 2012-03-10 16:54:48
I was on methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis for about 6 years. My liver enzymes went up so I had to have a liver biopsy. I refused anymore methotrexate after that. When the medication was prescribed to me, I was told that I could have an increased chance of tuberculosis and lymphoma. But, as soon as I stop the meds, these things would go away. I now see this was a coverup. I developed some shortness of breath and pain (pleurisy) in my chest. Saw a lung specialist who ordered CT scans. He saw some "nodules" in my lungs. Otherwise, he said I was "ok." Then, two years ago, I had pneumonia. It went away with antibiotics. In March of 2011, I developed pleurisy again (pain on deep inspiration). The pain was written off by my family doctor as "part of my arthritis."  I was told to take Aleve or ibuprofen. The pain got worse to the point where I cannot sneeze because it hurts so bad. I have extreme shortness of breath now. Finally had a CT scan last week. I have "ground glass" opacities in my lungs. I will be seeing my lung specialist on Monday. I am currently taking prednisone and an antibiotic. I have the symptoms of pulmonary fibrosis. I have so many things I want to do, but everything is on hold until Monday. I am terrified. I just buried my mom last year. She was 94. I am 66. I thought I had lots of time left. I have 11 grandchildren. I want to be at their weddings. I want to live. I want to retire and die of natural causes. In the meantime, I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.  

Beverly B. wrote at 2012-03-14 18:34:55
I had my lung biopsy yesterday.  I failed my PFT. I don't know yet if it is PF. I would like to get hold of the information that Buffy (above) spoke about. I think methotrexate should be banned. It is given to people who don't understand what can happen. Doctors want to be heroes with medications they know can kill the patient. I would rather have RA and take morphine than take methotrexate. How can this happen?  I wish I could turn back the clock. I have 4 boxes of medical files that will go to an attorney. I want this medicine removed from the market. Basically, it murders people.  

Michael wrote at 2012-07-29 03:33:25
Took Methotrexate from 2001 to Jan 2010. Liver biopsy in 2001 showed no problems. Changed doctors in 2004 due to employment. New doctor continued Methotrexate and just monitored liver enzymes via blood test (no biopsies).  Suffered esophageal varices in Jan 2012 due to Stage 4 cirrhosis. I do not drink alcohol and ER doctors say the cirrhosis was caused by methotrexate. Lawyers in Texas don't want my case due to "Tort Reform". Waiting list for liver transplants in Dallas, Tx is 10,000 even if you have a relative that can donate 30-40% of their liver and cost of a transplant is $1 M to $4 M dollars with 3 month recovery. Texas Supreme Court is Republican now and they reportedly routinely dismiss medical malpractice lawsuits. God help us.

CANDICE wrote at 2012-08-17 03:15:48
I TOO WAS ON METHOTREXATE FOR DX OF LUPUS.  I WAS ON IT APPROXIMATE 1 YEAR AND HAD TO GO OFF OF IT DUE TO 2 HOSPITALIZATIONS FOR KIDNEY PROBLEMS.  THEN OUT OF THE BLUE ON JUNE 27 2012 MY LIFE CHANGED.  I WAS EXPERIENCING SEVERE LEG CRAMS AND SHORTNESS OF BREATH.  WENT TO THE ER AND WAS TOLD I EITHER HAD LYMPHOMA OR LEUKEMIA.  THEY WOULD NEED TO DO FURTHER TESTING TO DETERMINE WHICH ONE.  WITH IN 4 DAYS I WAS TRANSFERRED OUT TO ANOTHER MAJOR HOSPITAL WHERE IT WAS CONFIRMED I HAD AML (ACUTE MYELOID LEUKEMIA)  I WAS TOLD HAD I WAITED ANOTHER 2 DAYS I WOULD HAVE LIKELY DIED AT HOME.  AFTER A MONTH IN THE HOSPITAL; INTENSE CHEMOTHERAPY AND MULTIPLE BLOOD AND PLATELET TRANSFUSIONS I AM NOW SEARCHING FOR A BONE MARROW DONOR.  I WILL HAVE TO CONTINUE CHEMOTHERAPY UNTIL A BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT CAN BE PERFORMED.  FOLLOWING TRANSPLANT I WILL HAVE TO BE AWAY FROM MY FAMILY (CHILDREN) APPROXIMATE 4 MONTHS SINCE THEY ARE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.  THIS ISN'T FAIR TO ME OR THEM.  I ONLY WISH DOCTORS MADE YOU MORE AWARE OF POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS AND TOOK IN CONSIDERATION YOU HEALTH BEFORE MAKING THEIR DECISION TO TREAT YOU.  SINCE IN THE HOSPITAL THEY HAVE FOUND 3 SPOTS ON MY LUNG TOO.  THEY ARE NOT SURE WHAT IT IS BUT I WILL BE PASSING THIS INFORMATION ON IN HOPES IT WILL HELP.

Lisa wrote at 2012-08-23 20:37:56
I been dealing with Lupus for 10 yrs.  For 4 of those years i was being treated with methotrexate.  it seemed to have helped for a bit, but then after some time i felt more and more sick, had numerous infections during the 4 years, hospitalized numerous times, liver damage.  I really thought i was going to die.  Within 2 months of being off of the methotrexate all symptoms diminished.  I have been off of Methotrexate for about 2 years, and in the last 6 months have been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis and lung specialist says it could be damage from methotrexate and the numerous pneumonia infections while on methotrexate

syl wrote at 2012-09-03 15:09:53
I also was on methotrexate for over 6 years,10 pills a week,and long story short,developed full blown chirosis of the liver,ascites in my abdomin,and had esophageal banding due to varices in my esphosagus..my ra doctor said he monitred my liver function monthly,but no biopsies were done until it was to late..i also had implants in both eyes done,and had a heart attack,all due to ra meds

Sue wrote at 2012-09-27 15:35:45
My Mom passed away about 7 weeks ago.  She was on methotrexate for 5 years for penniculitis in her foot.  She was hospitalized for 3 1/2 weeks and every day she got worse and worse.  Her kidneys shut down, her liver shut down, her lungs were not functioning well, she got every kind of bateria/infection while there.  They said her immune system was compromized due to methotrexate.  The worst part is it never helped her, but they kept giving it to her.  She went from some pain in her foot to not being able to breath and not being able to walk.  She was retaining so much water, they had her on diaretics and then she had to take potasium because of that and it just kept going.  She was on so many medications over the past 5 years and I truely believe it was all becasue of methotrexate.

My sister was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and the first thing they prescribed to her was methotrexate.

jim wrote at 2012-10-22 06:13:04
I turned 60 June 2009 and I left Korea the previous April to take a job in Galveston, TX.  Getting prepared to begin steps toward retirement, besides house hunting in the local area, I decided I should finally after all the past years of good health without regular medical treatment or other interaction other than as required for school, jobs, etc., I decided I would find myself a personal physician.  I had few other things for the doctor to look into as well, specifically weight gain, tiredness, blood pressure, and slight swelling and pain in right foot.  I asked my realtor for a recommendation and she put me on someone she knew.  The doctor saw me a few times over a 9 month period and then told me I was fine and did not need to see him for a year.  I ask the doctor, what about the foot as he had never addressed that.  He said, oh yes, I'd forgotten that, but I will send you to a rheumatologist.  I saw the doctor, had xrays, and on the second visit, she told me I had a slight case of psoritic arthritis, but with treatment, she could cure me, and she would give me a powerful drug used to treat leukemia.  I took the methotricate and was fine for two weeks, and then I got sick with pneumonia and a week later I was put in hospital to drain over a gallon of fluid from my lungs.  Several doctors told me it was the methotricate and the doctor precribing was a fool.  I was seen by dozens of doctors, specialists, and interns, and was told I had either cancer, TB or some unknown infection.  By the time I was to be discharged, all the doctors returned one by one and told me it was not anything the Rheumatologist did.  The medical activity seemed very sluggish and unconcerned from there on.  I was latter treated for TB with mega drugs, and after the treatment was over, I was told by the same pulmonary doctor I had not had TB, but no one know what had caused the problem, but my pleural lining and part of my lungs had been destroyed.  Tests revealed I had 30% lung capacity.  I was told I needed a lung transplant.  My personal physician showed me in my record where the pulmonary doctor had written I was not a good candidate for a transplant and that I had rejected the transplant.  I was later told I would rapidly continue to worsen until I just stopped breathing, possibly within 6 months.  That was 18 months ago.  I have just been existing since and I use a breathing machine about 20 hours a day.

rosie wrote at 2013-01-22 20:13:33
My son passed away after the side effects of this terrible drug.  He bleed to dealth.  Then the doctors look at me and said his levels weren't checked properly.  He was on dialysis and we thought they were checking the levels.  What an terrible pain I've lived with.  Before the pharmasist is allowed to refill they should have some protocals to follow to ensure that blood levels are stable.  Well of course my 21 year old son was written off that his life was of no value to anyone but hiss family and friends.  We truly loved him, he had a chance at life but this drug took it from us.  A mother that still hurts.  Be careful if you use this medicine.  Know everything there is to know about it.  

Wendy wrote at 2013-03-08 08:10:08
I took Methotrexate for about a year when I started having severe stomache bloating, and developing large bruises all over.  Soon after severe abdominal pain that radiates to the back developed.  It was acute pancreatitis, which has now progressed to Chronic Pancreatitis.  At hospital I was told it was the methotrexate that killed my pancreas.  I am in misery daily and have been enduring a 8 month wait to see a pain specialist.  Found out that I also have mild heart disease, and a fatty liver.  The rheumatoligist that put me on methotrexate checked liver enzymes, but no biopsy.  I stopped taking the drug because it was killing me.  My system was reacting blood counts were off, and I became so weak I could hardly get out of bed or function.  I expierenced many falls I think because of the weakness it caused in my body.  The drug was doing more harm than good for me, and left me with a failing pancreas, and possibly harm to liver as well.  I will need to have pancreas removed, and islet cell transplant, but my insurance wont cover the transplant portion of the surgery I need.  I regret ever having taken this drug for my RA.

Lori wrote at 2013-04-09 20:38:55
I have recently lost my father who was only 66 years old.  He had taken this Methotrexate and i believe caused him to have Pulminary Fibrosis which killed him quickly.

I also believe a lawsuit should be put against the makers of this medicine.

Lori

Canada

Kathy wrote at 2013-06-29 20:26:34
My Mother also was prescribed Methotrexate for psoriasis and ended up with angio sarcoma on her scalp!  I asked her to get off the drug after looking up the side effects and her complaining of lesions on her head. We went to an oncologist and Mayo clinic and both doctors admitted it was from this drug.  She had to take Radiation and Chemo to get rid of this aggressive cancer and lost her hair and also suffered financial hardships from this.  My parents are retired and on a fixed income and it has hurt them financially to have to pay for these treatments.  I would like to see her be able to recover what she has lost.  

Kris wrote at 2013-07-01 05:33:06
I am a 42 y/o RN that was going to Rheumatologist for RA. Was on plaquenil and prednisone and in January was started on Methotrexate. Visit in March revealed increased inflammation, bursitis in right hip, osteoarthritis worsening in thumbs (was told that RA did not affect thumbs...I call BS on that), and was wanting to come off of prednisone due to weight gain. My MD gave me a cortisone (steroid) injection into hip, and increased the methotrexate. By mid April, I was coughing and had symptoms of what I thought was allergies. By the end of April I was hospitalized locally with interstitial pneumonia, and sent to a larger hospital and pumonary group 100 miles from home where I was diagnosed with Methotrexate toxicity. I was there 10 days. I came home on oxygen. Unable to work. FMLA runs out in a couple of weeks, and my primary MD just got the notes from my Rheumatologist on that March visit. I had and increased WBC. Meaning, I should NEVER have been on an immunosuppressant, and should have had at the least a follow up phone call saying, "Hey, there's an infection somewhere, we need to do a couple more tests."  THAT, is neglegence. Yet no one will touch it. And I (A NURSE), can no longer function at my job, and at my last pulmonary function study was at 38%.  This is a terrible drug that does NOT need to be on the market.  I now have Cushing's Syndrome from the HIGH amounts of steriods that were administered to counteract the Methotrexate toxicity.  I have moon face, buffalo hump, purple striae on stomach, weight gain, depression.  I am still waiting for the interstitial pneumonia and asthma to clear, so I can have a CT scan to see what kind of permanent damage was done.  

freddie wrote at 2013-07-15 05:51:41
My mother just passed away on July 4th 2013, She was on the drug Methotrexate for a very long time, I changed her doctor and he started to get blood test and to remove her from the drug. Before we knew it she had gotten lung disease and in less thes 72 hours she passed!!  

Tricia wrote at 2013-07-23 15:52:11
My Husband passed away 5/21/13 with Pulminary Fibrosis due to Methotrexate. He was not on it very long and started having breathing problems we thought were allergies. He got worse and was hospitalized and 11 days later was dead. This was suppose to help the RA not kill him. Is there any law suites out there to help?

melissa h wrote at 2013-09-03 18:39:51
My father passed about a couple years ago at the age of 70. He had a horrible case of RA. For several  years he took  metho & is the cause of death listed on his death certificate. Terrible drug!!!!!!

Heather wrote at 2013-09-14 18:01:40
O.K. So my grandma just died Aug.16tth and she was negligently prescribed this drug methotrexate for 15 yrs I think. Her RA specialist did not do his job in working with her general practitioner. He prescribed the med even while she had open infections. He never kept track of her to see what was going on with her health. He also quit keeping up with her blood levels. She started getting blood transfusions in 2011 and he just took her off it in 2013 once she was diagnosed with MDS a blood disorder that quickly turned to leukemia.She actually died from an Accident, from falling in EMH hospital. She cracked her pelvic ,which eventually caused her to have heart congestion and since she had the leukemia she couldn't receive the treatment and she died. I definitely blame her DR. This was his responsibility and he did not do his job which resulted in me losing her. I called a lawyer and said he wouldn't take the case. I'm not going to stop until I get her justice.

Joette B wrote at 2013-09-15 15:32:22
Is there a open class action law siute in place? I'm recently out of the hospital recovering from Methotrexate induced pnemonia. Lung biopsy done and 8 day hopsital stay. This drug has caused me so much. I'm only 43 and I can't do normal dat to day task with out feeling as if im suffucating. I feel that the public needs to be more edcuacted r/t the effects this drug can have on your body so we can make an informed decision. I made a bad choice by just intrusting that it was safe and would help the RA. Well now i am paying for it.  

jb wrote at 2013-09-26 03:12:06
My sister was prescribed methotrexate for RA. Her prescribing family practice doctor was not knowledgeable or experienced with the drug or dosage and prescribed 2.5 mg daily for approx. 5 yrs.

She suffered with severe pain and was unable to eat or drink, mouth sores and more in spite of abnormal labs indicating liver problems. She was treated for severe anemia and high cholesterol.

After a liver biopsy and then complications they found her insides to be mush. She spent the last year in the hospital or long term acute care facility because of the TPN feedings, nursing home and then hospice.

We just buried her a month ago. The death certificate states liver disease from methotrexate toxicity. She was 61. I have 5 yrs of medical records going to an attorney along with the autopsy report. This medication should not be without high alert precautions in place for physicians and pharmacies.  

JNORTH wrote at 2013-10-02 22:29:24
My mother was sixty six, this was the first medicine the RA Doctor prescribed. Three doses in three weeks we went to the doctor and she told him that this medicine was killing her, she felt like she was dying. This was on a Thursday. He was going to try a new medicine the following Monday. To my dismay I found her dead that Monday. I will scream at the TOP OF THE ROOF TOP THAT THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS BAD DRUG DON'T TAKE. A friend of ours told us not to take it before hand, that her mother had been put on this medicine and it almost killed her mother. We of course decided that the doctor new more than our friend. Big mistake.  

missingmymom wrote at 2013-10-14 05:12:22
I would love to know more information as well. My Mom passed away due to respiratory failure due to methotrexate toxicity. I don't know if there are any legal actions we can take, but I would love to make sure that people know the dangers of this terrible drug.  

Lillie wrote at 2013-10-24 03:18:36
I was hospitalized at the age of 47 with ascites due to methotrexate which was prescribed for psoriatic arthritis. I had taken the methotrexate injections for about 4 or 5 years and while told it could cause cirrhosis I was assured that they monthly blood tests would alert them to any bumped up liver function tests. All were normal yet by the time I was diagnosed with the cirrhosis it was too late and now need a liver transplant. I want to see my grandchildren grow up as well!! I just think it's horrible and Drs should not prescribe something if they can't be responsible enough to learn everything they can about the drugs they give you.  

Mandy Peagler wrote at 2013-12-02 16:39:46
My father has suffered from psoriasis for several years. as a result, his primary care placed him on methotrexate.he took this medication for several years but i am not sure for how long. he was taken off of methotrexate in July of 2011 when he was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. he is currently on the liver transplant list and is in very poor health. his primary care never referred him to get his liver checked while he was on the medication. i hold anger toward his primary care and the drug company. my father was a very active and healthy man before his illness. he is a very well educated man so it concerns me that if they can do this to him, what can they do to an individual that can't read?! Something has to be done for our loved ones and to prevent these types of illness from happenng due to this drug and the negligence of physicians.  

Kris M wrote at 2014-01-18 19:00:10
I also was on methotrexate for 2 years.I went to the ER vomiting blood and was told I had developed full blown chirosis of the liver and had esophageal banding due to varices in my esphosagus..my doctor never told me about the severe side affects and only monitered my liver function every 4 months,but no biopsies were done until it was to late..

Kevin wrote at 2014-02-18 02:01:13
My father was taking methotrexate for RA and was diagnosed with Lymphoma, also a side affect of the drug.  I'm not sure if he was told about the side affects, he's not here anymore so we can't talk about these things.  

I guess the lesson to be learned is to make sure we all ask a lot of questions before taking medications the doctors prescribe instead of just thinking they know what's best.

Best of luck to you all.

Deborah wrote at 2014-06-24 21:43:44
My father died as a direct result of being prescribed methotrexate and prednisone for psoriasis skin disorder.

The medications lowered his white blood cell count.

We did not have the finances to proceed with attorney fees.

We tried to send to medical board but they denied it.

This was in 2008.

Kim wrote at 2014-07-13 05:49:14
I took this same medicine for a year. Last year I was rushed to the emergency room in respiratory distress.  While in the hospital I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure

Richie wrote at 2014-07-24 19:59:05
My husband was put on this horrible drug methotrexate 4years ago for psoriatic arthritis for about 4 months.   He weighed 170 lbs at that time.  He started developing weeping ulcers on his legs which became infected.  The rheumatologist said not to worry "the benefit of this drug outweigh the side effects".  However when he weight started coming off down to 119 lbs and he lost all his muscle mass and his immune system compromised--she quickly took him off it.   He was subsequently hospitalized 3 times trying to find out why he was so sick.  It took 2 years off the meds and healthy eating to bring his weight back but he still suffers from his loss of 4 years.  If anyone is interested in taking this case please contact us

RAS wrote at 2014-07-29 20:26:09
My mother took methotrexate for 3 years, she now has pulmonary fibrosis and is waiting for a lung transplant. She had to retire from teaching and is so depressed. I've reached out to Law firms all over the country and so far no luck with getting anyone to take the case. It seems like no one wants to be first just piggyback once the first ruling has come out against a drug. It's very sad. This drug needs to be pulled from the market like Vioxx was!  

betty wrote at 2014-08-06 18:23:38
Hi i have read all these posts, yet no one has done anything about this drug my husband is still on this drug and his liver is failing as is kidneys also are failing, he has diabetis, and nuropathy he cant feel his legs or feet his health is going don quickly  can we make a claim against the drug company does anyone know if e can

bear8357 wrote at 2014-08-21 20:22:21
I was on methotrexate for 7 months, I lost my pilot eye sight, my teeth crumbled out of my head, calcium levels crashed and now I have lung problems, shortness of breath and coughing and loads of phelum, VA perscribed for RA, when I tracked down the maker, the crap came from China, like I trust those yellow death dealers. I have pain,suffering and loss and want a attorney with a spine, and balls.

msngr321 wrote at 2014-09-03 18:01:36
After reading all the above reports I am angered to a point few would understand.

My wife recently went to a DR. for her arthritis and was diagnosed with ostio and RA. He put her on Methtotrexate and prednisone. A short time after she started the meds, she started to have a rash in her mouth. Then severe pain and large festering sores. She went to her regular Dr. and she said the problem should clear up in a day or two, giving her a mouth wash and Lidocane for pain relief. A week later she was unable to eat and could barely swallow liquid and the sores had moved down her throat into her ears and she was having dizzy spells. Going back to her Dr. she took all her meds with her. Her Dr. was appalled that she had been put on Methotrexate telling her it had caused the problem and immediately took her off it.

As I write this 9-3-2014, she is still suffering terrible pain, unable to sleep, can't eat, and can barely get liquids down. Worst thing is, her Dr. seems to be at a loss as to what to do. I am desperately trying to find a solution and a lawyer who is willing to take a case to stop the DRUG LORDS FROM KILLING SICK PEOPLE. I am convinced this drug is a killer and should be taken off the market ASAP.

Leah wrote at 2014-11-16 19:32:48
I was on methotrexate and my teeth crumbled and my eyes dried out.  It took almost two years for the remaining enamel on my teeth to re harden and my eyes have never been the same.  

Chanel wrote at 2015-03-03 21:36:59
My mom had a disabling stroke, and diagnosed with polymiositis in the same week(2004). She was placed on methotrexate up until last year(2014)when she went to er and found out she had Pneumonia, and lung issues. Now she's on 24 hour oxygen, discontinued metho, but it has damaged her lungs so bad, I'M SCARED!!!!! Still standing from effects of stroke, living with polymiositis, but this dayum  lung issue brought on by metho, may take her ALL the way down,and I'm so ANGRY with RA, and myself gor not being on top of this more......I've been her caregiver since her stroke, and have been sooo proactive, how did this get by me, AND WHY N THE HELL DID THEY NOT MONITOR THIS BS BETTER, since they know the possibilities.She's n the hospital now with increasing lung damage, more oxygen, and less strength. I could seriously HURT somebody. I have been crying this morning in horrible guilt...cuz I am my mommy's keeper!!!!!!! Is there a class action somewhere?

Kirsten B wrote at 2015-03-22 12:30:19
I am right there with you Chanel. My healthy, vibrant and happy 67 year old mom was put on Methotrexate when she was diagnosed with RA. She has been on this drug for two years but was always in pain and had trouble walking. She kept insisting it was "keeping the symptoms at bay" I wish I had done more research and talked with her doctors about other medications or diet changes.

My mom was rushed to the ER on March 6th 2015 with insane lower stomach pains,  3 days later her bowel ruptured (a side effect of this horrible drug ONE OF MANY HORRIFIC SIDE EFFECTS.

Because Methotrexate leave you with no immunity and a tear will automatically make you septic, she had no way to fight this. She should be home laughing and enjoying her grandchildren, but instead we are planning her memorial. My best friend passed away in the hospital 9 days ago. DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. WHY ARE DOCTORS PRESCRIBING THIS KILL.ER?  METHOTREXATE KILLED MY MOM.

paul watkins wrote at 2015-04-01 23:45:24
Unbelievable information. I was diagnosed in January of 2014 with Sarcoidosis. An Allergist made the diagnosis and  prescribed me Methotrexate.

In March of 2014 I almost died from a sudden onset of some unknown type of lung infection. I was told by Dr's at the treating hospital where I was admitted for 7 days that I did not have Sarcoidosis and even if I did I should not have been prescribed the Methotrexate without taking a less potent medication ie Prednisone.

Anyway, I cant find an attorney anywhere in Maine that is interested. Really weird. Thanks, Paul pawatki7@aol.com

kevin wrote at 2015-04-17 23:35:57
My Mother died 7/1/14 official cause of death - sepsis.  Vibrant 77 year old living by herself at our original house.  She had symptoms of temporal arteritis and was put on prednisone.  I didn't help ( confirming that she didn't really have temporal arteritis) but was then put on Methotrexate - high dose, 1 time weekly, by the third dose she was falling down, had severe ulcers in her mouth.  We got her to the hospital, trying the antidote to methotrexate to get it out of her system.  She never left the hospital dying 2 1/2 weeks later.  It was a painful miserable death!!!!  Something needs to be done about this drug.  Please let me know if you have had a similar experience!  I'm just finally able to deal with this and feel that there should be accountability somewhere!  

peggy wrote at 2015-04-24 02:22:15
I also have been on methotrexate for 2 years last December I started having suvere back pain was sent to back dr she wanted to give me shots in my back thank god I said no a week later I went to get out of bed and could not walk went to dr he admitted me they sent me to bigger hospital come to find out I had a mass staph infection on my spine caused from use methotrexate injections it is now april and I still have a pic in my arm taking meds at home  

elle27 wrote at 2015-05-14 21:15:46
I am so sorry for all of your problems. My mother had sarcodosis of the lungs for well over 20 years and did great on  prednisone. Her new Pulmonary doctor pushed the methotrexate for 3 years. She didn't like the pills(instant flu like symptoms) so he put her on a weekly injection. She had 3 injections, she is dead today. She developed all types of infections, bone marrow was depleted, platelets and cell counts dropped and now I have no mother. We are waiting on autopsy results and then moving forward.  

Magicmoment wrote at 2015-10-27 13:11:32
My brother was on methotrexate for his psoriatic arthritis.  It has damaged his liver and the palliative doctor gives him 6 wks to 6 months left to live.  He is only 57 and other than the arthritis he had nothing wrong with him.  This drug has killed him. It may have a place in cancer treatment but not for otherwise well people.  Not sure what to do about this.

ShellyHartman wrote at 2015-10-28 01:33:12
In 2005, I was diagnosed with RA and put on 15mg of methotrexate.  After a month, I started having severe dark, suicidal and bizarre thoughts.  In less than 3 months, I went downhill, lost a bunch of weight and ended up in the mental hospital after a suicide attempt. All of my doctors insisted that methotrexate doesn't case mental or mood changes, but yet as soon as I put 2+2 together and got OFF this horrible medication, that my symptoms went away.  I had 1 final weird thought about two weeks after stopping the medication and that was it.  Was never suicidal before or after this medication.  I would NEVER recommend anyone taking this medication.  I certainly wouldn't, not even if it was the last drug on earth to help RA symptoms.

lizzy wrote at 2015-11-25 01:52:47
I am going though same thing after two years of methotrexate.  

Ronnie wrote at 2016-01-20 22:23:14
My sister took methotrexate from 1998-2012 when they discontinued the drug.  She ended up in the hospital for three months with pulmonary fibrosis and passed away at age 47.

Hubert W. Ehrlich wrote at 2016-01-27 20:57:39
My wife just died in November of 2015.  Never take Methotrexate.

Many doctors will testify to that fact. I will join in a "Class action Lawsuit" aginst the manufacture of this product.  

Cw wrote at 2016-02-09 06:33:26
Hello, my mom passed away in June of pulmonary fibrosis. She had been active and vital until about 3 months prior to her death.  She started on methotrexate in August of 2014 with a totally clear lung x-Ray. By March of 2015 she was diagnosed with advanced pulmonary fibrosis. Sadly, we lost her on June 6, 2015.  Somebody needs to do something about this killer drug. Please include me in any efforts towards this.

Clare Dodd wrote at 2016-05-24 00:14:47
Hi my name is Clare and I was taking methotrexate do to a molar pregnancy it was given to me so the molar pregnancy would not turn into a cancer. I took it for about 5 months and now my kidneys don't work and I'm on dialysis waiting for a kidney transplant. DO NOT TAKE METHOTREXATE.

Corey wrote at 2016-08-19 21:48:40
My name is corey I took methyltrexate for approximately three to four weeks, in four weeks I started having hip pain. Two weeks after the pain I was diagnosed with Avascular necrosis of both hips, about a year after that I had to have a total hip replacement... I'm only 34 years old and my dermatologist perscribed it for a skin rash

CWB wrote at 2016-11-09 21:36:27
My Rheumatologist started me on methotrexate and Remicade  infusions with a straight face. Being in pain and trusting him I started the medications and within a year I was in the hospital with pneumonia, bronchitis, mercer, and interstitial lung disease. Before going into the hospital the medicine was making me ill and I keep telling the nurse that in the infusions area it was making me sick she would always say try it in smaller doses, the PA said spread it out over the course of the day, no one listened so I stopped the meds on my own. After being in the hospital six days in March and seven in April for my lung biopsy I now have to get lung treatments at Temple Lung Center in Philadelphia.  This medication and the money hunger doctors along with the pharmaceutical company should have to pay for their misleading and poising the public. They are educated in the areas of medicine and should pay for their lies.  

Barb wrote at 2016-11-10 14:01:45
My mom was prescribed methotrexate 10mg once a week, after twelve weeks she died.  There must be a class action law suit somewhere in the United States.  We can't just sit here and do nothing.

Medical Malpractice

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.