Medical Malpractice/incisional hernia

Question
I had Liproscoptic surgery in 2009-2010. Do to severe pain in my abdomen I've recently found out I had a incisional hernia from the surgery. Now I have to have surgery. I'm meeting with the surgeon tomorrow, but I'm scared because it is serious, and some of my other organs could be coming through the hernia as well. What do I need to do.

Answer
Laproscopic surgery leaves 3 incisions, each no more than about 1 inch in length, right?  So one has developed a hernia.  This should not be a big deal. Relatively minor surgery.  Just because it happened is not evidence that your orginal surgeon was negligent or did anything bad or that there was malpractice.  Even if the doctor was drunk and that is why you have this problem, no lawyer is interested in the case anyhow.  Malpractice cases are very costly to pursue, requires lots and lots of work, and unless the injury is worth maybe $250,000 at least, it isn't worth any lawyer taking the case.  They only get paid if you win the case and probably 90% of malpractice cases lose or at least don't result in money being paid to the patient.  You need to get the corrective surgery and move on with your life.  The Statute of Limitations has probably run out by this time anyhow.  That is, it would be too late to file a lawsuit, depending on what State you live in. Good luck.

Medical Malpractice

Glenn A. Dorfman