Medical Malpractice/Autopsy Redux

Question
Hello Mr. Friedman,

Thank you for taking the time to review my question.

My uncle recently passed away at a hospital. This follows what in my view was questionable treatment decisions made on the part of a physician with admitting privileges. When asked, the doctors have been vague about what caused his death. An autopsy was performed, however we do not yet know the results.

If my family decides to pursue a medical malpractice/wrongful death lawsuit against the hospital and the physician, is there any chance my uncle's body would need to be exhumed and another autopsy performed? Would a medical malpractice/wrongful death attorney recommend such a course of action if the autopsy results and/or the medical records are deemed altered or suspicious?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide me with this unfortunate situation.

Answer
Alex,

I cannot answer for other attorneys; however, I would never have a body exhumed in this type of situation.  In a civil case, it is unlikely the court would order a body to be exhumed and I have never heard of this.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Medical Malpractice

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.