Medical Malpractice/Almost a year of constant pain.

Early 2013 I started having lower abdominal pain by my groin, family doctor sends me to local surgeon that does turn your head and cough and says I have right inguinal hernia and schedules mesh hernia repair(may 2013). Two weeks later I go back for checkup and tell him I'm still having the same pain in the same spot all of the time.  He says its normal scar tissue and doesn't schedule another follow up.  (July 2013) family doctor sends me back to him because I still have the pain and he schedules a cat scan.  jejunum is thickened so he schedules a colonoscopy.  Nothing found.  Sent to digestive disease who says the pain is lower than what they deal with so sent to urologist.  Urologist schedules for ultra sound, found a small pocket of fluid where hernia repair was schedules cat scan which confirms it.  urologists sends me to surgeon for pocket of fluid, we go to the surgeon that originally did the hernia repair for convenience sake.  He says if its still bothering me in 2 months come back....this is after 10 months pain in same spot.  I am angry at his carelessness and my family doctor sends me to another surgeon that says "oh this is easy you have nerve entrapment".  I'm a little upset he was the only one after 10 months of pain in THE SAME SPOT that could figure it out so easily.  Now he says I need another surgery high risk to remove the original mesh plug and the three nerves that have become entangled.  He also says that there is a high chance I will have to have my right testicle removes after.  I really don't want to lose my testicle.  I feel like the original surgeon was really arrogant, he didn't seem to acknowledge my groin pain and now its been a year of constant pain, I had to stop working in September 2013, I'm receiving short term disability since September but its not much, I have a family with 3 little girls, haven't been able to pick them up for a year.  I feel this process of figuring out what was wrong went way too long and now the risks of what I have to do are too high. Thank you for your time and consideration. Jason

I am sorry to hear about your condition.

There really is not a question here.  You need to get an opinion from the subsequent surgeon who attempts to separate your entrapped nerves as to whether the original surgeon fell below the standard of care in failing to see and move the nerves to prevent the entrapment.

I have litigated a similar case.  I was able to litigate it because my client's costs were lowered by the second surgeon serving as my expert.  The second surgeon is really the only person in the proper place to see what your condition is when you go back in to have the nerves released.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Medical Malpractice

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

I have been a practicing civil trial attorney since 1989 dealing primarily with malpractice issues. I litigate very select medical malpractice cases on behalf of patients or their families. I am a Certified Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. I am also Certified in Injury and Wrongful Death by the Arizona State Bar Board of Legal Specialization.

In addition to my law degree, I received a Master of Arts in Bioethics and a Doctorate of Philosophy involving Medical Ethics. Because I am also an Adjunct Professor in Research and Medical Ethics at a medical school, I routinely consult with physicians and hospitals regarding medical ethics issues in an effort to improve patient care.

I can answer questions dealing with medical ethics principles. I can also respond to questions regarding potential malpractice issues.

For more information, you can view my website at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM

I have been a practicing trial attorney since 1989 and I have a masters degree in bioethics and a doctorate of philosophy regarding comparative ethics.

State Bar of Arizona
State Bar of Colorado (inactive)
District of Columbia Bar (inactive)
Federal Bar
Licensed in Arizona District Court
Licensed in Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
licensed in the United States Supreme Court
American Bar Association
National Board of Trial Advocacy
American Association for Justice
Arizona Trial Lawyers Association
American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
Kennedy Institute of Ethics
National Association of Realtors

A list of my copyrighted publications and presentations is contained at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM

Bachelor of Arts 1985
Juris Doctorate 1989
Master of Arts in Bioethics 2004
Doctorate of Philosophy 2006

Phi Beta Kappa
Multiple Who's Who
Southwest Superlawyers
Top 100 Trial Lawyers
AZ Magazine Top Lawyers