Medical Malpractice/femoral nerve damage from artery puncture during laparoscopic d&C

Question
I had a d&c procedure performed in 2004, during which time an artery was punctured and repaired. I awoke immediately with pain that stemmed from my left hip, to my groin and down my left leg. I took Tramadol, Neurontin and Topamax for nine months leading to a my total hysterectomy in 2005. At which time the surgeon was able to get my leg to where it was numb (from top of thigh towards the groin) with no pain. At the time I sought out legal help with no avail and since I wasn't having any pain, I guess that meant there was no lawsuit. Well fast forward 10 years and now my left leg has slowly but surely began to experience pain again. It now feels like I have a persisting groin injury, my knee gives out and it hurts (stabbing, burning, throbbing) to stretch, sit or stand for long periods. Do I have a case? At the time I even submitted a medical complaint against the first surgeon (the 2nd surgeon I have no issues with) but it was unsuccessful. I feel like if I would have died on the operating table my family could have sued then but what about now that I have to live with the pain with limited insurance to get the best treatment I deserve when this was done to me?

Answer
Necole,

Without knowing what state you live in because it was not provided, the answer is probably not.  Most states have a "discovery rule" which may increase the time to file when you knew or should have known you had a potential claim.  The fact you spoke to attorneys over a decade ago would most likely preclude you from asserting a case now; however, you should speak to an attorney in the state in which the malpractice occurred.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Medical Malpractice

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.