Medical Malpractice/Bad Drug

Why has there been no "Class Action" against the manufacture of Methotrexate??  My wife recently died after:
         Restrictive lung disease
         Pulmonary fibrosis
         Rheumatoid Arthritis
It all started with a case of Reynauds Syndrome.  The Doctor that prescribed Methotrexate did not monitor the progress of the drug due to our being on a cash basis.

Again, Why has there been no "Class Action" against the manufacture?  Looking here on the internet and reading all the people that have had a problem with this drug makes me sick. My wife is now RIP.  The doctors and drug mfg. live on.

I am very sorry to hear about your wife.

There are a few reasons you are not seeing any class actions regarding methotrexate.   The first reason is that most drug product liability cases are actually individually filed and then made part of an MDL which is Multi-District Litigation.  In these cases, there may be a global settlement but each participant has a right to agree to the settlement or disagree and maintain a separate cause of action.

Second, the side effects have been well-published for over a decade and this greatly limits lawsuits because the manufacturer can blame the victim by indicating the victim understood the risks, including death.

Third, there is federal preemption which has eliminated a good number of claims since the Bush administration.  The theory is that the FDA approves medications so the public does not maintain a right to sue.  This is applied differently by various judges and in each state.

There are a number of lawfirms advertising for methotrexate cases.  I have not worked with any of those firms and cannot vouch for their effectiveness.

Again, I am very sorry to hear about your wife.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Medical Malpractice

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

I have been a practicing civil trial attorney since 1989 dealing primarily with malpractice issues. I litigate very select medical malpractice cases on behalf of patients or their families. I am a Certified Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. I am also Certified in Injury and Wrongful Death by the Arizona State Bar Board of Legal Specialization.

In addition to my law degree, I received a Master of Arts in Bioethics and a Doctorate of Philosophy involving Medical Ethics. Because I am also an Adjunct Professor in Research and Medical Ethics at a medical school, I routinely consult with physicians and hospitals regarding medical ethics issues in an effort to improve patient care.

I can answer questions dealing with medical ethics principles. I can also respond to questions regarding potential malpractice issues.

For more information, you can view my website at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM

I have been a practicing trial attorney since 1989 and I have a masters degree in bioethics and a doctorate of philosophy regarding comparative ethics.

State Bar of Arizona
State Bar of Colorado (inactive)
District of Columbia Bar (inactive)
Federal Bar
Licensed in Arizona District Court
Licensed in Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
licensed in the United States Supreme Court
American Bar Association
National Board of Trial Advocacy
American Association for Justice
Arizona Trial Lawyers Association
American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
Kennedy Institute of Ethics
National Association of Realtors

A list of my copyrighted publications and presentations is contained at WWW.EXPERTETHICS.COM

Bachelor of Arts 1985
Juris Doctorate 1989
Master of Arts in Bioethics 2004
Doctorate of Philosophy 2006

Phi Beta Kappa
Multiple Who's Who
Southwest Superlawyers
Top 100 Trial Lawyers
AZ Magazine Top Lawyers