Medical Malpractice/Question if I have a case

Question
Hi, on Feb 10th we took our 2 year old to Hasbro children hospital. He had 105.7 fever, severe headache, and hadn't peed in over 12 hours  We waited 5 hours to b seen and while waiting they gave him 240mg of Tylenol suppository in one time which is double dose needed for his weight. After all that we were finally seen. Luke had a 103 fever by this point. Dr said he looked great said it was a virus and he was dehydrated and sent us home. The discharge papers said diarrhea and upper respiratory infection which he had no symptoms of either and he verbally told us his bowel and chest sounds were clear. Within an hour of his discharge he was back up to 105.7. By that night he had 107.6 fever. We rushed him South County Hospital. They did tests, put IVs in, stabilized him. They called Hasbro and wanted him admitted immediately. Hasbro said they would. So he was ambulated to Hasbro to b admitted and they told us they don't just admit kids that we had to go thru their ER. So another 5 hours we sat with a barely conscious 2 year old and when they took us in they were just going to send him home after again overdosing him on Tylenol again and then forcing a syringe of motrin another overdose down his throat causing him to choke and hurt his tongue.  I demanded IV, they ran sdomw tests and gave him antibiotics just to shut us up then sent us home again. We went for follow up w on call Dr next day on zero sleep in three days with him battling 105-107.6 fevers. In the rush to get him there and knowing we were going to Boston Children hospital after pedi I slipped and got a concussion along w other minor injuries. Pedi recommended we go to Boston. They ran tests put him on IVs and found  a rampant ear infection. They gave him meds he needed by IV  and within 36 hours he was better. My husband and I lost a week of work due to baby being sick and not properly cared for by Hasbro. I'm losing another week from my concussion. I have to take him to specialist to check his hearing. I'm wondering if we have a case against Hasbro for misdiagnosis and premature discharge, overdosing meds, giving him random antibiotics, torturing him and leaving him in danger w sending him home w high fevers.... Thank u so much.

Answer
Crystalyn,

Sorry to hear about your child's treatment and the circumstances regarding your concussion.

While in theory, your child may have a claim for medical malpractice, the reality is that probably no attorney would take the case.  Since your child has fully recovered, the damages would be limited and the cost to prosecute a malpractice case would be too high to justify any claim.

I think you would also have the same problem with regards to your claim for a concussion.  The malpractice claim would be for your child and it is more disconnected to have a personal claim for you.

I am glad your child is better and I wish you all the best.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Medical Malpractice

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.