Medical Support Careers/billing/coding

Question
I am thinking about going to school for billing/coding.  I was wondering, is there a preference (among employers) in regards to where (online or on school grounds) you acquire your certificate? Which would you suggest?

Thank you

Lisa

Answer
Hi Lisa

I don't think employers have a preference in regards to whether you acquire your billing and coding certification online or on grounds as long as it is from a reputable organization.  Many community colleges offer the schooling online but you have to take your exam thru a certified organization such as AAPC.  It is up to you to determine which school will offer you the best chance of passing the exam which is what employers are actually going to consider.  I would suggest AAPC because they are more highly recognized specifically for coding.

I hope this helps and good luck pursuing your career in medical billing and coding.  For more great tips on certifications, visit my website at http://medicaloffice.about.com.  

Medical Support Careers

Joy B. Hicks, MBA, CPM