Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/denials from insurances

I work for a doctors office in billing only had one class in billing rest in coding. I take care of the denials for the office and I have one OA-24 from medicaid. patient has coventry and it is active so do I resubmitt these to coventry and not medicaid. sincerely, rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

Great question! When you receive a denial from Medicaid stating that the patient is covered by another insurance, this simply means that the other insurance is primary to Medicaid.  You need to bill the Coventry first and if there is a patient responsibility after they pay the claim, then you can bill the patient responsibility to Medicaid.  Make sure you follow your state's Medicaid billing guidelines for filing secondary claims.

I hope this answers your question.

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

Joy B. Hicks, MBA, CPM

As a Medical Office Expert, I can answer any question related to the medical office from the prospective of hospital and physician office staff and patients.

I have been in the medical office field for 12 years and also have a blog that provides advice, information, and tips about the medical office.

Certified Practice Manager
AAS Business Administration
BA Health Care Administration
MBA w/ healthcare specialization