Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/Medicare


Hi -- I am an all-experts volunteer, too (in bankruptcy and collections).  I'm trying to get information on Medicare.

I am retired and receiving social security (age 68).  I have been informed that I was enrolled in Part A (although I never received a card).  I refused Part B because I live in Canada and was covered by the Canadian system.

I am now thinking about moving permanently to another country (possibly Mexico) that has its own healthcare system, where I would be eligible.  Nevertheless, I would like to preserve my Medicare rights in the event of extreme emergencies only.  

Do I really need Part B?  Won't Part A cover really life-threatening issues (I would go to doctors for ordinary checkups in my new country).  Would I be penalized for not having taken Part B if I tried to sign up?

Most importantly -- is there a private plan that will cover the gaps if you have Part A but no other part of Medicare?  Thanks very much.

HI Mike

If you do not already have a copy of Medicare and You 2013 get a copy from the local Social Security office.  In the center of the back cover is the phone number of the nearest SHIP office to you.  
Set up a 1 on 1 session with them and they will go over the whole thing with you


Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Pedit


Am an expert on Medicare, Medicare HMOs, and Medicare supplemental insurance. Also have extensive knowledge of Medicare especially in Mich. Have knowledge of COBRA and the Portability Act


Past/Present Clients
Council about 300 persons yearly and do many presentations on Medicare

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]