Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/the uninsured

I often hear that we are all paying for an uninsured person's visit to the ER. In other words, under the ACA there is no difference. Can you explain who reimburses or pays the ER for the service they perform for an uninsured person? Is there much of a difference between what we are paying for such services under ACA and the way it was before ACA? Thanks.

Hi David!

I think that depends on each state.......some states have Charity Care and if you are not insured they will pay a portion of the bill if you qualify.  It is heavily reduced though.  Charity Care is funded by the government and our taxes.

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

Has your medical insurance company denied your claim and refuses to pay? Have you received a pre-authorization and still your insurance company refuses to pay? How can you get your insurance company to reverse a denied claim? How do you get a provider to waive your copayment if you are financially unable to pay? Can a provider sue you for a unpaid bill and will they? Can a provider send me to a collection agency for a medical bill? If my insurance company does not pay, am I responsible? If you have these questions or others on why your insurance company is not paying your bills, I can help. I can give you "tricks of the trade" to get your insurance company to pay. I have limited knowledge on Medicare and Medicaid and that is not my expertise. Each state is very different regarding Medicare and Medicaid so you need to review their website when you have questions. So please no Medicare or Medicaid questions!!

In the medical field for over 20 years spending majority of time in the collections aspect.