Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/Missouri Medicaid out of state coverage

Question
I have been in Nebraska for 2 days now. I fell on the ice and had to take a trip to the emergency room. Is my Medicaid going to cover this?

Answer
Out of state visits are covered by Medicaid in certain situations, including emergency room visits.  However, it is important that the Nebraska provider contacts Missouri Medicaid to find out what the billing guidelines are.  They may be required to enroll as a Missouri provider unless they are already a Missouri provider since they are a bordering state.  Make sure you give the hospital you visited your Medicaid information if you haven't done so already. You may also want to call the hospital every few weeks or so to make sure the claim is billed and paid by Medicaid so that you won't get the bill.

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

Joy B. Hicks, MBA, CPM