Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/medicaid

I have a child client who has a large medical bill with a hospital that accepts medicaid.  They failed to bill medicaid and have missed there time to do so.  The child client has a sibling who they did file for medicaid benefits. (In other words, it is pretty evident they knew about Medicaid).  I believe they chose to not file because of the large dollar amount and the possibility of recovery from an auto insurance policy.

Isn't the hospital required to bill medicaid?
Are there some sort of penalties for failing to do so?
What are the best steps to take?

Hi David!

In most states if there is an auto accident the bills go through them first then to the health insurance.  Every state is different though and some auto policies may act as primary where others are secondary to health.

So no easy answers.  

I would find out which is primary and which is secondary and go from there.  

Good Luck~

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

Has your medical insurance company denied your claim and refuses to pay? Have you received a pre-authorization and still your insurance company refuses to pay? How can you get your insurance company to reverse a denied claim? How do you get a provider to waive your copayment if you are financially unable to pay? Can a provider sue you for a unpaid bill and will they? Can a provider send me to a collection agency for a medical bill? If my insurance company does not pay, am I responsible? If you have these questions or others on why your insurance company is not paying your bills, I can help. I can give you "tricks of the trade" to get your insurance company to pay. I have limited knowledge on Medicare and Medicaid and that is not my expertise. Each state is very different regarding Medicare and Medicaid so you need to review their website when you have questions. So please no Medicare or Medicaid questions!!

In the medical field for over 20 years spending majority of time in the collections aspect.