Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/Medicare deductible write off

I have been a patient for medical supplies and breathing medications for about 8 years.  Every year I complete and qualify for their financial hardship program.  I also qualify for extra help through Social Security and have also received state assistance in paying my premiums for Part B & D and my deductibles.  Recently the supplier is telling me that it is illegal to write off the medicare deductible and medicare has told me that it is not.  I qualify for the financial and medical hardship programs with the state and federal programs as well as the financial hardship program with the company.  They keep telling me that it is illegal to write it off and I find that very difficult to believe under these circumstances.  Can you help me out with this?  Is there a guideline on when a deductible CAN be written off and if so where can I find it.
Thank you so much for your time in answering questions for us.

Hi Tracy!

Medicare patients are required to fill out hardship waivers and if it is a true hardship using current poverty hardship guidelines then Medicare will allow it.  However a provider has to be careful on not making everyone a hardship.  Hardship waivers should be used sparingly.

I would get a letter from Medicare if you can to give to provider.

Good Luck!

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

Has your medical insurance company denied your claim and refuses to pay? Have you received a pre-authorization and still your insurance company refuses to pay? How can you get your insurance company to reverse a denied claim? How do you get a provider to waive your copayment if you are financially unable to pay? Can a provider sue you for a unpaid bill and will they? Can a provider send me to a collection agency for a medical bill? If my insurance company does not pay, am I responsible? If you have these questions or others on why your insurance company is not paying your bills, I can help. I can give you "tricks of the trade" to get your insurance company to pay. I have limited knowledge on Medicare and Medicaid and that is not my expertise. Each state is very different regarding Medicare and Medicaid so you need to review their website when you have questions. So please no Medicare or Medicaid questions!!

In the medical field for over 20 years spending majority of time in the collections aspect.