Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/health care for expat


I am a 31 year old American citizen who has lived (and worked) in Europe for the past 15 years. I have virtually no employment history in the US. My wife and I plan to return to the States for one year with our 3 small children. I would be employed by my present employer, so would not have an American employer. What kind of health care would be available for us and would we be eligible for Medicaid or Medicare? We obviously don't need a plan to cover any long term illnesses, just emergency situations and the usual children's diseases.
Thanks for your help!

There are short-term plans available, even just the basic catastrophic ones.  Get in touch with a broker that can help you.  You would not be eligible for medicare as you are too young, but medicaid, maybe.  It depends on your income and what state you plan to live in. When do you plan to move to the states?

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Justin Jones


I am an expert on Medicare and Medicare Supplement plans that go along with it.I am also an expert in Life, Critical Care, Cancer and other supplemental insurance questions. Plans can vary and be confusing, I'm here to help you find the right one for your needs.


In my Third year of helping people find Supplemental plans, made many contacts in the Insurance and Financial Planning fields.

Sterling Insurance

licensed in Life and Health insurance by the State of Oregon.

©2017 All rights reserved.