Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/Medicare Part 2

Hello: My relative passed away in the hospital. She had medicare Part B. From my understanding medicare part B will not pay for her hospital stay. Do you know if we can expect Part B to pay for fees other than the actual hospital room fees, such as diagnostic testing, doctor fees, meals, medications, etc. while she was inpatient?  I would greatly appreciate any information you can provide. Thank you kindly.

Hi Marina

The simple answer to your question is yes.  However, Medicare Part B will only cover a  limited set of ancillary Part B inpatient services specified  in the "Medicare Benefit Policy Manual".  The hospital likely has access to the guidelines necessary for filing this type of claim.  Briefly speaking, all charges cannot be billed to Medicare.  Only the charges that are covered can be filed on an outpatient claim by themselves in order for the claim to process.  The patient will be responsible for all charges not covered by Medicare Part B plus any deductible, copay or coinsurance amounts applied to the charges that are covered.

Hope this helps!

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

Joy B. Hicks, MBA, CPM

As a Medical Office Expert, I can answer any question related to the medical office from the prospective of hospital and physician office staff and patients.

I have been in the medical office field for 12 years and also have a blog that provides advice, information, and tips about the medical office.

Certified Practice Manager
AAS Business Administration
BA Health Care Administration
MBA w/ healthcare specialization