Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/Veterans Medical Care and Medicare Part A

Question
QUESTION: In your opinion, is having VA Medical Care and Medicare Part A sufficient insurance. Any tips will be appreciated.

I live in IN
Thanks in advance.

ANSWER: Hi Sallie, good question.  Things are rapidly changing on this topic.  I've witnessed my clients being overjoyed that they had insurance outside of the VA.  There are Medicare Advantage plans specifically designed for VA recipients, but you must have Part B of Medicare.  Getting your RX from the VA is smart because it negotiates prices whereas Medicare does not.  But having the freedom to choose the VA or a neighborhood hospital, Dr., etc. for medical care is having the best of both worlds.  I hope this helps.

QUESTION: The information was beneficial.

I also wanted to know by having VA Medical Care and Medicare Part A is it like having a Major Medical Insurance that covers most things, is it sufficient in that way?

Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Answer
Sallie, as I tried to answer in your first question, I personally don't think it's enough.  With all the vets coming home, etc., having the option to use traditional Drs. and facilities could be very beneficial.  It probably would only cost you the price of Part B.  Again, having only VA could be 'sufficient', but I would like to broaden my opportunities if my life was at stake.

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

Cindy Hopp