Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/Medicare when living in Canada



I am 64 years old and on Social Security on a widow's pension. I moved to Canada, a year ago, to marry a Canadian. I just finished applying, and being accepted, as a Permanent Resident. I now qualify for the free health care plan here that is supplied by the government.

Am I still liable to obtain health care in the USA, under the ObamaCare act or will my having healthcare here be sufficient? Will I still have to pay a penalty for not getting healthcare through that program?

When I turn 65, do I have to accept Medicare or can I deny the option? I will not be returning to live in the US, even upon my husband's death. I will continue living here.

Thank you,

Hi Benni, in my opinion, if you will be filing taxes in the U.S., then you will need to provide proof of Canadian insurance so you won't be penalized under the Affordable Care Act.  As far as Medicare, you will not need or be allowed to have Medicare if you are a permanent resident of Canada.  I hope this helps.

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Cindy Hopp


As an expert in Medicare supplemental insurance, I can help you decide which plan is best for you. If you are turning 65 or your rates are just too high, let me shop for you and give you your options. I can also assist the under-65 for their health insurance options. Please include the State you live in.


Having been in the business for 10 years, I keep up with all the new rules of the new Health Reform and am licensed and certified to assist you.

All the continuing education I have taken keeps me up to date with licensing and the insurance industry.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]