Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/COBRA or INDIVIDUAL INSURANCE

Question
Hi Cindy, thanks in advance for your help and time.

I am 63.5 years old and retiring Dec 31, 2015.

My question is: Should I take my company's COBRA plan or get my own individual health insurance? And should I continue the COBRA dental plan my company offers ($30 a month)?

I am in good health. My only conditions are sleep apnea (moderate) which is under control, and acid reflux. Everything else is in great condition.

I am thinking two things. 1. With the COBRA, I will have great coverage if something happens. Cost is about $500.

2. With individual health insurance, I might be spending less and save out of pocket money. But if something happens healthwise, I might be liable for huge hospital bills, for instance.

So, I don't know the best thing to do.

Again, thanks for your help.

Answer
Hi Robert, thanks for the question.  Not being familiar with Illinois rates, my experience tells me that your price for Cobra coupled with, as you say 'great coverage', would be the way I would go.  Timing seems to be perfect as 18 mos. of Cobra would bring you to Medicare age.
I hope this helps.

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

Cindy Hopp