Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/Medicaid

Question
We are a non-par provider for Medicaid.  If we have and existing patient that used to have commercial insurance but now has Medicaid and we opt to see them, are we allowed to charge them as a private paying patient or is that against Maryland Medicaid regulations?  This goes as well for patients of ours that become Medicare eligible (which we are contracted with Medicare) and have Medicaid as a secondary.  Thank you!

Answer
You would need to check your state's medicaid guidelines. You would most likely have to have the patient sign an agreement that they have been informed that you do not accept Medicaid and they will be responsible for the charges incurred. However, certain types of Medicaid for individuals with Medicare are omitted from paying for any portion of their bill. You would either have to write off the balance or excuse them as a patient.

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

Joy B. Hicks, MBA, CPM