Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/medicare

Hello, my husband due to a stroke, is in a rehab situation in a nursing home, it may take awhile before he's able to walk on is own.  Medicare pays just so long then our supplement took over for the remainder of time.  Now of course that's over.  As all residents in nursing homes do, they have to go on Medicaid.  unless they can pay a few thousand a month for their care, which of course they wouldn't have to be there if they could.  My husband was accepted in Medicaid, I'm still paying our supplement each month  should I being paying his now that he's on Medicaid?  His social Sec. is still the same amt. does that mean he still paying for medicare, or is it taken out for Medicaid.  I thought it would be easier and quicker to ask all experts thank you

You should not be paying his supplement. Now that he has Medicare and Medicaid they'll  cover it all. So sorry that you are going through this.Medicaid should ,also pick up his Medicare premium but Medicaid is state run so you really need to check with his worker at Medicaid.

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

Merry Schiff

I am very familar with Medicare and general insurance questions. I can answer general questions about HMO's.

I have been in the medical billing industry for 50 years. I have helped develop software for this industry. I am a consultant to billers and the medical profession.

I am the Executive Director of NEBA, a medical billing organization with nearly 1000 members.

I have been teaching medical billing for many years as well as being a published author with Pearson Education. One book on medical billing (nearly 800 pages) and one on HIPAA.