Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/medicare/medigap

Question
Hi Cindy, I am a retired federal employee who is married to a postal carrier (still working), I dropped my BCBS policy when we got married and am now covered under her family plan; question; I will be turning 65 in December and am presently trying to weave my way through the tangled web of "what best to do" I will have medicare A and B....I worked enough part time jobs and a stint in the US Navy to get the quarters required and my present Social Security benefits will cover the B part (just barely), when I turn 65 do I use Medicare as my primary and keep under my wifes BCBS family plan to pick up what Medicare doesn't cover? or have her switch to self only (cheaper) and get a supplemental plan of my own.....a friend of mine who is in the same condition as me, only several years older has kept on his wifes plan and uses it as a supplemental and pays nothing, but BCBS is in essence getting premium rate pay for only covering him for the small portion Medicare doesn't pick up. thank you thank you thank you.....this very confusing...lol....Nick

Answer
Hi Nick, sorry for the delay.  What you pay for your premium as a dependent on your wife's policy will help you make the decision.  A Medicare Supplement Insurance policy would be typically $150/mo. more or less, depending on your State.  Add to that your Part D drug coverage, depending on which plan would save you the most for the meds you take, for an average of $32./mo.  So if at 65 you'll be paying more than $180./mo., then I would google me so I can shop for you.  I hope this helps.

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

Cindy Hopp