Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/Medicare question

Question
I owed a balance of about $40 to a physician I had not paid from previous visits I had been making a monthly payment to them but when I had another appointment before I left a billing assistance person called me into her office about my balance I told her I was trying to pay it that I have a fixed disability income but had made payments on it She then told me that my Medicare coverage could be cancelled or taken away for not paying the other 20% of the medical bill I just want to know if this is true??? I feel like she was threatening me but was curious about it please help thank you

Answer
Hi Mandy!

Medicare does require you to pay your copay to a provider if they make payment however if it is a hardship for you and you can prove it Medicare also has a hardship waiver that could reduce or erase your copay.

I don't think Medicare would cancel your Medicare coverage if you are making an attempt to pay a copay.  I guess they could legally however I have been in the medical collections business for 25 years and never heard of that ever happening.

Check the Medicare website for your region and see if you can apply for a hardship.  

Good Luck!
Tricia

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

Tricia