Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/medicare cost

QUESTION: hi..i am trying to retire next year at age 62. and have been told that to get medicare, you have to pay for it.  is that true?  how much does it cost per month? thank you!

ANSWER: Hi James.........You have to be 65 to receive Medicare unless you are disable and even then there are certain requirements.  I copied information regarding the age requirements below.

"Medicare, one of the federal government’s largest programs, provides health care benefits primarily to elderly people. The usual age of eligibility for those benefits is 65, although certain people qualify for the program earlier. (Medicare is available to people under age 65 who have been eligible for Social Security disability benefits for at least 24 months or who have end-stage renal disease.)"

Good Luck!

QUESTION: well, if you are 65 and get medicare, do you have to pay premiums for it? thanks!

Yes you have to pay for Medicare Insurance however very low compared to regular policies.

Part A is usually free if you have worked the last 10 years.  Part B there is a cost and it is around $105-$110 usually increases each year.  Part D also has a cost around $40-$45.

So for Part A (hospital), Part B (durable medical coverage) and Part D (prescriptions) your cost would be around $150.00 a month.

There is a low deductible that also changes yearly around $166 and Medicare only pays 80% of a fee schedule amount leaving you a copay of 20%.

Medicare has a lot of rules and regulations though that you can find out on their site.  

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

Has your medical insurance company denied your claim and refuses to pay? Have you received a pre-authorization and still your insurance company refuses to pay? How can you get your insurance company to reverse a denied claim? How do you get a provider to waive your copayment if you are financially unable to pay? Can a provider sue you for a unpaid bill and will they? Can a provider send me to a collection agency for a medical bill? If my insurance company does not pay, am I responsible? If you have these questions or others on why your insurance company is not paying your bills, I can help. I can give you "tricks of the trade" to get your insurance company to pay. I have limited knowledge on Medicare and Medicaid and that is not my expertise. Each state is very different regarding Medicare and Medicaid so you need to review their website when you have questions. So please no Medicare or Medicaid questions!!

In the medical field for over 20 years spending majority of time in the collections aspect.