Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/Medicare enrollment

QUESTION: I read in the U.S. Govt. Medicare Handbook that if you're already getting social security benefits, you'll automatically be enrolled in Medicare Part A and B, starting the first day of the month you turn 65. But if you're close to 65 and not collecting social security, you'll need to sign up by contacting social security 3 months before turning 65.

Someone else told me I'll automatically be enrolled in Medicare parts A&B regardless of getting SS or not. Can you please clarify this? And if I do have to contact SS to sign up, do brokers do this for people, or is that part up to the individual to do?   Thanks

ANSWER: Hi Lee, it can get confusing huh?  Throughout my career most people have automatically received their Medicare card usually 3-4 months before turning 65, whether on Social Security or not.  I always tell my clients if it's close to 2 months before, and they haven't received their card, then apply, and I assist them to find the most appropriate insurance to supplement their Medicare.  You must apply yourself, either by going into your local Social Security office or online at  Be sure to get confirmation that you applied.
Lee, I would love to assist you with your insurance if you would be so kind to google me.  
Thanks for your question.

QUESTION: Yes it can.  I am considering plan G and am confused about co-pays for Dr. office visits.
This plan doesn't cover the $166 deductible. Would I have to pay the total bill for doctor visits until that's met, and then pay $0 after that? Or would I pay just 20% until the the deductible is met, and $0 after that?

I'm debating between G and N.  I was going to go with G, even though I don't see a dr. more than 2-3X a year, if that. But if in the future I need to see one more often, I figured the $0 copay of G may come in handy. And G also covers 'excess charges' if needed, though I don't know how useful that benefit is.   Thanks again

Lee, I would normally suggest the F Plan as then there would be no deductibles or copays.  The annual cost savings between the F and G would need to be effectively more than the $166 deductible.  Indeed you would be responsible for the entire $166 upon your first medical visit with the G, then it would pay the 20% after that.   
As far as the N is concerned, the excess charges could be considerable, especially from a specialist if ever the need arrives.  They can bill you for 15% more than Medicare allows.
Lee, the wise choice is to get the best plan possible upon turning 65 because you can always move down the scale.  But if you turn ill and have a lesser plan, you cannot move up because of underwriting.
I hope this helped.

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

Cindy Hopp

As an expert in Medicare supplemental insurance, I can help you decide which plan is best for you. If you are turning 65 or your rates are just too high, let me shop for you and give you your options. I can also assist the under-65 for their health insurance options. Please include the State you live in.

Having been in the business for 10 years, I keep up with all the new rules of the new Health Reform and am licensed and certified to assist you.

All the continuing education I have taken keeps me up to date with licensing and the insurance industry.