Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/stem cell coverage

Question
We have BCBS federal and were wondering if stem cell treatment is covered ..my wife is having knee problems and her Doctor told her that stem cell has been remarkable in curing many knee problems, but he is under the impression that it isn't covered,,,yet my wife did some research and found a similar case was covered here in Florida...any info would be greatly appreciated....thank you!

Answer
Hi Nick:

You would have to review your current plan exclusions and coverage.  Every plan is different and would be impossible for me to tell you.

Most times stem cell is listed as an exclusion and you can not appeal an exclusion.  

So check your policy it should be listed one way or another or you can call your insurance carrier directly and ask.

If you disagree with your policy you can always appeal.

Good Luck!

Tricia

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

Tricia