Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance/Insurance Billing

Hello, I have a $1300 deductible HSA with Anthem BC/BS through my employer. In April 2016 I had a procedure performed by an in-network provider. There were also ultrasounds and follow-up appointments. The office person asked for payment up front on several occasions and I obliged for a total of $1500.

As far as I know, I'm done with appointments and payments.

I'm not very knowledgeable about terminology used in billing. My question is, how can I be sure the billing statements are correct? Is there a system in place to make sure patients aren't overcharged?

Thanks, John

Hi John,

Best thing to do is to ask the Dr for a copy of all your bills and review each one with explanation of benefits from your insurance company.  Many insurance companies now allow you to view and print on line their payments.

Definitely double check since many Dr's office estimate your charge and you may have paid to much.

Good luck!

Medicare, Medicaid, Life and Health Insurance

Has your medical insurance company denied your claim and refuses to pay? Have you received a pre-authorization and still your insurance company refuses to pay? How can you get your insurance company to reverse a denied claim? How do you get a provider to waive your copayment if you are financially unable to pay? Can a provider sue you for a unpaid bill and will they? Can a provider send me to a collection agency for a medical bill? If my insurance company does not pay, am I responsible? If you have these questions or others on why your insurance company is not paying your bills, I can help. I can give you "tricks of the trade" to get your insurance company to pay. I have limited knowledge on Medicare and Medicaid and that is not my expertise. Each state is very different regarding Medicare and Medicaid so you need to review their website when you have questions. So please no Medicare or Medicaid questions!!

In the medical field for over 20 years spending majority of time in the collections aspect.