Medieval History/Medieval history

Question
Why would medieval men and women subject themselves to such a harsh lifestyle? How was the monks approach to religion different from the approach of the average person living in europe at this time? What are the benefits/disadvantages of this lifestyle? Why do you think they took a vow of silence?

Answer
Hi, Belen,
When you say "medieval men and women" in the first sentence do you mean the average "medieval men and women peasant"? Or the average monks and nuns of the Medieval Era?
If you mean the first; they had little choice in the matter. Life was not easy for peasantry, and there was little escape for those born into the lowest class of peasantry, except if they became an outlaw and turned to robbing and looting (mostly of their fellow peasant).
If you mean monks and nuns; they did so out of devotion to their religion.
The monks were better educated; so while a peasant who attended church (when they could) might know the texts from hearing them, they probably wouldn't be the ones reading them (only the educated, and a few lucky people, could read).
The monks were arguably more devout, as you said, some took vows of silence. All would spend countless hours in prayer alone. This was an act peasants could not achieve, as they would have to attend to the fields and other duties of the peasants.
The advantages of being a monk would be cleaner living quarters, better food, more respect (after all a man of God, among those who believe in the same God, is respected. As opposed to a peasant who isn't even considered an equal of anyone other then another peasant, much less a superior). The disadvantages would be, if you see it as such, spending all day everyday engaged in religious activities and duties dedicated to your God.
I think monks took vows of silence because they felt it was their duty to God, and/ or to improve themselves as men. Some orders mandated a vow of silence, while in others it was optional.
Think how hard it is to not go a week without talking with someone. Now imagine going a week, a month, or even years without saying a single word to another person. Could you think of a better test to prove your devotion to your God (if you believe in such things as trials to prove faith)? Or another way to get closer to Him?
I hope this helps,
~Zachary

Medieval History

Zachary Phillips