Medieval History/Question on medieval boats

Question
Hello C.M.,

I found a reference to a Mediterranean carrack from around (1380), in a book by Edwin Tunis. But with an internet search I have not been able to find much on it, so I was wondering if you knew of any books or resources that covered medieval ships, particularly carracks in detail. How would I find out the dimensions of this sort of boat?

Thanks!
S

Answer
Hi S, and thank you for your question,

It's not really my area. I assume you checked Wikipedia. If not, try

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrack

That article lists a couple of books in the 'References' and 'Further Reading' sections. You can also follow the links of famous carracks, like the 'Santa Maria'. Articles on specific ships include dimensions, especially under 'Santa Maria>Replicas>Quincentennial'. Elsewhere, the Santa Maria is described as a typical carrack.

Hope this helps,

C.M.

Medieval History

C.M. Aaron