Medieval History/Middle ages

is there a book at 7th grade reading level for someone who wants to understand how the Dark Ages started?

Hi Carol,
Seventh grade is a tough, in between reading level. Many books written for adults are written at an eighth grade level, so don't be afraid to try some books that are aimed at an older audience.

A quick internet search found these titles:

Saint Augustine: A Penguin Life by Garry Wills

How the Irish Saved Civilization: The Untold Story of Irelandís Heroic Role from the Fall of Rome to Rise of Medieval Europe by Thomas Cahill

If you like history on the light side, you could try "The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody" by Will Cuppy. It contains many short tongue in cheek biographies including Attila the Hun, Charlemagne, Lady Godiva, and William the Conqueror as well as many other people outside your time frame.

You could also search on "Fall of the Roman Empire" since that and "Start of the Dark Ages" are almost interchangeable.

Hope this helps,

Medieval History

C.M. Aaron

I've been studying the early medieval period for almost 20 years. In particular, I've studied the fall of the Roman Empire, the barbarian invasions/migrations, early barbarian law codes, the early medieval church, technology of the period, military campaigns and tactics, and some of the early barbarian dynasties, especially the Merovingians in Gaul (France).

Twenty years of self study. I also write historical fiction of this era.

Bachelor's degree.