Meditation/mindful moments

Question
I run. I do it equally for both the mental as well as physical benefit. I have been reading about meditation during moments of the day as a way to relax the mind. Would the counting off of exercise reps be considered "mindful" moments similar to those of breath awareness during meditation?

Answer
I personally think they would be. Running as well. I used to run as a youth and remember how beneficial it was in every way. I'd like to run today, but my knees prevent that. But I still walk. And when I walk I most definitely contemplate things.

Anything can be mindful. In Indian (Hindu) philosophy there's this idea of "karma yoga." What that means is that we can connect to the higher source (God, if you will) while being active. There are other types of meditation, for sure. But I see "karma yoga" as being appropriate for many people, especially those interested in integrating all aspects of the human condition.

Here's a few related pieces I've written... http://earthpages.wordpress.com/?s=karma+yoga  

Meditation

Michael Clark, Ph.D.