Meditation/Strange experience

Hello, I have just experienced something very strange during meditation. I was doing listening to this video on YouTube

I was listening to this to try to encourage happy thoughts of love. It took me to the most wonderful place that I will never forget. However, that is not what was strange. When the hour was nearly over my mind wandered off to a girl I knew when I was 12. Someone I haven't thought of in forever. And then the next thing I knew, I was thinking about a woman who was my supervisor at work this summer. And then I had a thought. My old supervisor is that girls mom. When the meditation was over I went on Facebook and found the girl I used to know. And sure enough, my old supervisor is her mom.

I guess my question is what the heck was that? I don't know if I should call it a revelation or what. The information just hit me so suddenly when I was in a state of meditation. Is this normal during meditation? I don't really have much experience in the area, I just recently discovered binaural beats in YouTube. I guess I'm just trying to make sense of what that was. I go to school in another province, so it isn't like I see either one of these people ever. Just very strange

Hey Melinda, I believe all sorts of things can happen when one reaches a meditative or contemplative state of mind. But you know, I think with some people insight or intuition just happens. Everyone is different. What I mean is, I don't think one necessarily has to be in a state of meditation to be highly intuitive. But it can be that way.

I wouldn't make too much of it. Some people say they are always experiencing synchronicity (meaningful coincidence) and smaller "revelations" like the one you mention. I think people get freaked out by it because it's generally not part of the "normal" discourse of everyday life. Not now. But maybe some day it will be. Humanity is evolving, right?

Just some ideas to consider...  

Michael Clark, Ph.D.

I'd prefer to answer questions from seekers rather than those wishing to get into in an academic debate. I do, however, have a considerable degree of scholarly knowledge that may be applied to the inherent complexities - or simplicities - of the contemplative life. But the key word here is "applied."

I tend to agree with these sentiments as expressed by the woman writer on mysticism, Evelyn Underhill:

"Now meditation is a half-way house between thinking and contemplating: and as a discipline, it derives its chief value from this transitional character."

Source: Practical Mysticism: A little book for normal people (1914), p. 46.

Moreover, I strongly believe that all persons possess an essential individuality--not just a superficial, conceptual or constructed sense of individuality. So if you're looking to lose your essential self in 'nothingness,' please ask another expert. I don't believe in that idea.

I began to meditate in the 1980s. I did hatha yoga and studied and taught Tai Chi. I then lived in India for two years where meditation was a way of life. Although my methods have changed over the years in keeping with my personal development, I still consider myself a contemplative person.

Print Media:
My table from "Religions and Cults" at is reproduced with permission in L. Lindsey, S. Beach and B. Ravelli, Core Concepts in Sociology, 2nd ed., p. 157

World Wide Web:
My online article "Letter to God" coauthored with Buddhist monk, E. Raymond Rock, appears on several different spirituality-based websites, including

I've interviewed, as a Christian, a self-proclaimed mystic:

My articles appeared at the former New View magazine and are published at

Ph.D. in Religious Studies
M.A. in Comparative Religion
B.A. Hon. in Psychology/Sociology
For more info, please see my CV and letters of recommendation and my blog at