Meditation/Meditation Progression

Hello Reed,

I've meditated on and off for years.

I recently began again in earnest.  I meditate at least once a day for 20 minutes and most of the time twice a day.

My thoughts have reduced considerably.  Sometimes I have no thoughts at all for most of the 20 minutes.

I 'thought' I was doing okay but I think that I'm not actually progressing.  I've read that I should feel 'bliss' and 'should be having thoughts' BUT ignoring them.

I feel okay or rather calm but certainly not bliss.

Is this normal to a) have lack of thought and b) not to feel overly good?

Hi Lisa,

Every person experiences meditation in a different way. While it appears you have no problem ignoring and denying your thoughts or feelings, you might want to state your INTENT before you go into a meditation. That is to say, if you want to experience a state of mindless bliss, then make that your intent..

While I have experienced what I call, denial based mediation, including a host of imagery and sensations, I no longer practice it. Instead I now use non-denial based meditation as a tool for healing and self-empowerment. That is to say, I use it to find the underlying causes to the issues I am experiencing that my conscious mind wants to avoid and deny.

If you are interested in this approach to meditation, you can download my free eBooks at

Reed (John Rieger)

I have thirteen years of personal experience in many "new age" areas. Some of the tools I use are Crystals, Sound, Colour, Massage, Touch Therapy, Reiki, Accupressure, Aromatherapy, Body Movement, Ear Candeling, Herbs, Plants and animals, Runes, Cards, Pendulums, etc, as well as Meditation/Visualization, Chakras, Auras, energy, Clearing your astral plane, Meeting animal guides and totems, Meeting your higher self and guides, Past life regression, Channeling, Archetypical and Shamanic and multi-dimensional journeys, and Feeling, Healing and Understanding Emotions.etc. I've found that all these tools have lead me to begin to heal my emotions and in turn, my physical Body and Mind. These tools are not merely hear-say (what someone else has told me) or a mental concept I have, but are what I have personally experiencved and am now applying in my daily life, so I know they work for me. In Nov. 2008 I published my first book "Journeys from the Heart Centre" - Meditation as a tool for healing and self-empowerment.... You can either read the E-book on line, or download it at

I facilitate Meditation and Visualizations with individuals and groups for the past 10 years. I have found that this "tool" is a spring broad to other worlds of awareness including past lives, meeting guides, clearing yor astral plane, meeting animal totems, shamanic journeys, channeling, and the list goes on. Non denial based meditation is what I share and I have found it to be a wonderful tool to assist me in healing my emotions, mind and physical body.