Hello David,
I've been doing some mindfulness exercises for the past few days and I was wondering if focusing on a mental image (like a candle or a flower) or a constant humming sound is just as good as focusing on my breath? I'm asking because i've noticed it is much easier for me to stay focused on these things rather than on my breath. Is their a focus object that is better than others to get better results or as long as I focus on something i'm fine?
Kind regards

Carl, Thank you for your question.

The whole idea of focusing on an object is worthless, in my opinion as a meditation teacher (since 1972). It is unnatural, essentially difficult, and produces nothing of any worth. It often results in headaches or insomnia. Even if it succeeds, then all you have achieved is identification with an object.

We have already learned to identify with our body and mind. As if that isn't bad enough (our true nature is pure consciousness), we are told to focus on a candle flame, or on breathing. What can that do? It can make us into a candle, or attach us to our breathing. How can that be of any benefit?

If you believe that mindfulness or any other form of concentration produces some good, then seek an answer from one of the mindfulness teachers here. I will not support such nonsense. I teach only transcending, which is easy and effortless, and produces deep rest, eliminates stresses, and develops consciousness.

I hope this brief answer has helped. Please feel free to submit follow up questions, if needed.

David Spector

David Spector

I can answer questions about life lived free from stress, and on techniques used to transcend thinking, gain deep rest, and eliminate stress stored in the nervous system, including: how they work, their benefits, and how to learn them. I have been practicing Transcendental Meditation for 45 years, and was made a TM teacher in 1972. I currently teach Natural Stress Relief (NSR).

I am President of Natural Stress Relief/USA (NSR/USA). I distribute the English hardcopy version of the NSR self-instruction learning materials. I am a former teacher of Transcendental MeditationŽ (TMŽ), having been trained in the 1971-1972 by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi for eight months in residence. I currently teach NSR.

Istituto Scientia (Massa, Italy).

See for scientific research published on NSR.

B.A., physics, M.A. equiv., computer science. Transcendental Meditation: Governor of the Age of Enlightenment (not recertified).