Mergers & Acquisitions/incomplete stock transfer in divorce

Question
I was to receive all interest in our closely held S corp.  Originally my ex held 100 shares in his personal name. We formed trusts in 1998, intending to void the 100 and issued 2 certs for 50 to each trust.  As president my ex never signed the back of cert #1 to void it. He filed an amended financial affidavit in divorce I never saw, the day of mediation claiming he owned 150 shares to my 50.  His attorney prepared a transfer of 50 shares and "all other interest" I didn't question not knowing of the 150 claim.  Tax returns in the past were filed in error showing him as 100% owner. He left 8.00 in the bank while hiding over 100g in unpaid bills, deferred taxes and other taxes I am now responsible for. I am facing foreclosure.  We both personally guarenteed the loan. At settlement I was to take over immediatly and he was not to reenter but he continued, unknown to me, to sign docs as president and didnt resign for another month. I don't know what to do. Can he be held responsible for the mortgage and half bills I've been paying since he legally for 4 years has owned 1/2 the corp according to him?

Answer
Jayne, have you talked to the lawyer who handled your divorce?  This is really a question for the divorce court, not a corporate law question.

That being said, you have a real mess on your hands.  First of all, you say that tax returns were filed "in error" showing him as the 100% owner.  Since you say that the business is an S corp, if the K-1s were issued in his name, who actually picked up the income (or loss)? If you weren't being shown as the owner on the K-1, how did that error continue for 4 years?

Under corporate law, a shareholder is not normally responsible for the debts of the business.  If one shareholder funds the business and there is no agreement that the other owner will contribute, then the contributing shareholder has no grounds to force the other shareholder to pick up a share of the losses.  That defeats the limited liability protection of the corporate form.

If your ex-husband took funds from the corporation without authorization, that is a different story.  In that case, you are not making him liable for the company's debts but simply making him repay what he took.

I expect that, absent a showing that your ex took money that he was not entitle to, simply having his name on some stock certificates is not going to give you the ability to make him cover a share of the losses the business has suffered.  A more likely result is that the divorce court would order him to transfer the shares that should have been transferred as part of your settlement.  If the company is under water, getting his shares now is not going to be a meaningful benefit, but it puts you back where you would have been.

It is very important that you have this discussion with the attorney who handled your divorce.

Mergers & Acquisitions

David K. Staub