Mergers & Acquisitions/Business names

What's the difference between

1/ A firm
2/ A company
3/ A corporation
4/ A conglomerate?

I don't need an academic answer. It's not for formal research. Just a very general one will do, just one line for each type.

Many thanks for your time,

Paul Murphy,
London, UK.

Company and corporation are legal entities, and the definitions depend on the legal jurisdiction. Firm is a description used in many counties but to my knowledge without legal definition. Conglomerate is used to describe a large entity made up of many different businesses.

Mergers & Acquisitions

Martin Schultz

I can answer questions related to preparing a business for sale, and evaluating a business for acquisition. Also questions about creating liquidity for shareholders by merging with an existing public company, or taking the business public.

I have been involved in evaluating and structuring acquisitions for public companies, creating liquidity for the former owners of the acquired companies. Also in divestitures of businesses by public companies. As a founder or officer of these public companies. I have also been involved in evaluating privately owned businesses for personal acquisition. Experience, both good and bad has taught me about weaknesses in privately owned businesses that can be remedied resulting in increasing the value of the businesses. I have been involved as a principal in raising significant amounts of capital for opportunities and projects in public companies. Prior to these types of activities I was involved in industrial marketing, including being VP Marketing and Sales for a mid sized industrial organization.

B.A. with a major in psychology and minors in physics and mathematics. MBA with concentration in general management.