Meteorology (Weather)/Rain

John wrote at 2012-06-01 22:41:07
I have seen this a couple of times in Louisiana when strong storms were in the area, but not directly overhead. I assuned it was due to strong winds associated with the storm blowing rain.  I have read one online explanation (which seems plausible) that hailstones blown out of the top of a thunderhead can fall a considerable distance away, possibly melting before hitting the ground.  I witnessed this in the Algiers section of New Orleans, Louisiana on the night of 5/31/2012.  There was thunder and lightning at a distance to the south, but the stars were shining overhead and a light but steady rain was falling

Treesong wrote at 2013-11-04 15:48:46
Serein. It's in unabridged dictionaries like the Merriam-Webster New International.

Meteorology (Weather)

Ryan Hastings