Meteorology (Weather)/atmosphere question

I just wanted to know if the atmosphere's layers are fixed at specific altitudes? another way of asking, if the surface level of earth were to rise by thousands of feet would the atmosphere move up with it? and would that change anything about it? Thank you

Hi Bryon

They are not fixed by specific altitudes (specific defined as within a thousand feet or so) but they are related specifically in the order that you encounter them as you rise in elevation from the ground.

If the ground were to rise by a thousand feet or so the layers would rise with the change of elevation. If you were to go to the top of a mountain thirty thousand feet up you would leave the lower layer of the atmosphere.

Here is some info on the layers:  

Meteorology (Weather)

Donald Rosenfeld

Any questions (except private) answered from the 1st grade level on up pertaining to any aspect of Weather. I am a 20 year member of the American Meteorological society and a long time forecaster of eastern United States snow storms and Hurricanes.