Meteorology (Weather)/differences in temperature

Hello Donald.
When we hear the daily temperature on the weather forecast I assume it's the shade temperature were given. Is there a formula for working out what the temperature will be in direct sunlight. Here in the UK we're having (for us) a bad heatwave with temperatures up to 32 C, what would that be sitting out in direct sunlight for instance ?

Hi Mark

Official temperature measurements are made in a special ventilated instrument shelter that keeps out the sunlight but brings in a cross current of air:

Unfortunately, there is no formular to predict the relationship of air temperature to degree of sunlight. The reason is because there are too many not related variables to maintain a linear  relationship; for example, haze, time of day, angle of sun, seasonal position of the earth and others such as the heat index which relates to the human body reacting to heat, exercise and humidity.  

Meteorology (Weather)

Donald Rosenfeld

Any questions (except private) answered from the 1st grade level on up pertaining to any aspect of Weather. I am a 20 year member of the American Meteorological society and a long time forecaster of eastern United States snow storms and Hurricanes.