Meteorology (Weather)/Blizzard swath

I'm a novelist writing a scene where an aircraft is flying into a blizzard.  Question:  How high or tall can a extraordinary blizzard reach?  Is a 1000 feet too high?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

There are two types of blizzards. One being a "ground blizzard" where the source of snow is previously fallen and being blown around by gale force winds of 35 mph or more with visibilities less than a quarter mile for 3hours or more. This type of blizzard would be confined to close to the ground, i.e., less than 1000 feet.

The second type of blizzard is a storm, low pressure area, that has the same conditions of a "ground" blizzard except the snow is precipitating from clouds several thousand feet above the ground.

For more on blizzards, see:

Meteorology (Weather)

Donald Rosenfeld

Any questions (except private) answered from the 1st grade level on up pertaining to any aspect of Weather. I am a 20 year member of the American Meteorological society and a long time forecaster of eastern United States snow storms and Hurricanes.