Meteorology (Weather)/Pressure Systems

Question
Pressure Systems
Pressure Systems  

I'm having trouble understanding pressure systems and how they are formed. I wonder if you can verify this or tell me where I'm going wrong.

I'll put it in dot points so my though process is clear.

High Pressure System.
1) Air at the centre of the HP system blows outward to low pressure.
2) This air is replaced by denser, cold air from aloft. Since it is pushing downwards to creates High pressure at the surface.
3) Converging air aloft pushes downwards.

Low Pressure System.
1) Air from higher pressures blows towards the centre of a Low pressure system.
2) This air converges and lifts as the air has nowhere to go, until in the upper atmosphere it diverges.
3) Since air is lifting it rises the higher pressure, leaving lower pressure at the surface.

I know this might be wrong, Any corrections are appreciated. I have attached an image of what I am thinking in my head.

Cheers,
Dylan

Answer
Hi Dylan

****= answer

High Pressure System.

**** It blows outwards and if a low pressure is near by the air will go into the low from the side of the high closest to the low.

**** The cold air is replaced by surface cold air to the north or northwest in the northern hemisphere.

**** Not necessarily.

Low Pressure System.

**** Yes

**** Yes

**** No, it does not create a high pressure area above the low.  

Meteorology (Weather)

Donald Rosenfeld