You are here:

Meteorology (Weather)/Phrase definition


I am constantly seeing media meteorologists say "a piece of energy is going to move through or across an area" or a low pressure system is going to "spin off a spoke of energy". I can't find any information that explains what they mean by "piece of energy". I have a fairly good understanding of energy in the physics sense so I am wondering if this is a misnomer. Are these areas of higher temperature, lower pressures, or what. Thanks for your time.

Hi David

First, "energy" is vorticity:

And, Phasing:  

Meteorology (Weather)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Donald Rosenfeld


Any questions (except private) answered from the 1st grade level on up pertaining to any aspect of Weather. I am a 20 year member of the American Meteorological society and a long time forecaster of eastern United States snow storms and Hurricanes.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]