Meteorology (Weather)/Wind at different altitudes

If I wanted to fly a kite 7 miles high, will the wind still be blowing up there? Will it be blowing the same direction? Will the wind speed change with altitude? What would be the best conditions I could look for in my local for set? Would any wind go atleast that high or would a cold front or something be more likely to have consistent winds at all altitudes? Thanks

Hi George

and looking at "FL36" in the scroll down box "SFC" to the left, you will find winds at the 36 thousand foot level.

So, the answer would be yes, yes, yes for the first 3 questions. As to "best" conditions for flying a kite, try:

And to the question of "consistent" winds of low to moderate speed would be a high pressure area. Highest speed would be associated with jet streams.

For more, see:  

Meteorology (Weather)

Donald Rosenfeld

Any questions (except private) answered from the 1st grade level on up pertaining to any aspect of Weather. I am a 20 year member of the American Meteorological society and a long time forecaster of eastern United States snow storms and Hurricanes.