Meteorology (Weather)/Temperature gradient terminology

Dear Donald,

Why do meteorologists sometimes use the term "intense" when speaking about temperature gradients? I am used to gradients in other fields being spoken of as a line or incline and described as "steep". I know activity can be intense but I have never heard the term used for a gradient. Is it a shortcut for " temperature gradient zone"?
I am interested in understanding the use of this expression as a linguist.

Thank you for your reply.

Hi Bridget

Lets agree first on what a temperature "gradient" is. It is when an air mass has a temperature difference over some distance. In the case of horizontal distance, an "intense" gradient would be when the temperatures changes in short geographic distances.

A "steep" temperature gradient would be abnormal temperature changes in the vertical ascent of the atmosphere.  

Meteorology (Weather)

Donald Rosenfeld

Any questions (except private) answered from the 1st grade level on up pertaining to any aspect of Weather. I am a 20 year member of the American Meteorological society and a long time forecaster of eastern United States snow storms and Hurricanes.